Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:02 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:11 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:25 pm
Posts: 1784
Location: It's not easy being a dolphin.
ferrus wrote:
cyfa2809 wrote:


Unbelievable! Can't help thinking it smells of urine though!




:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I can understand it's important but doesn't this start to get silly? Ultimately nothing beats live music in right environment, so I say spend the cash on going out of the house.

As a side note, the most mind blowing audio experience ever I had was here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Eustache,_Paris) on a concert day.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:27 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:18 pm
Posts: 1908
Location: Macbook or iphone
2x technics 1210 Mk5's, Technics battle mixer (ipod lead :) ) Pioneer amp running a mix of Mission and Whalfdale speakers.
Tempted by some CDJ's or a Mac with Trackor? Prefer diamond on wax though :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:12 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am
Posts: 946
Location: Swansea/Birmingham
Awkward Kid wrote:
2x technics 1210 Mk5's, Technics battle mixer (ipod lead :) ) Pioneer amp running a mix of Mission and Whalfdale speakers.
Tempted by some CDJ's or a Mac with Trackor? Prefer diamond on wax though :D


nice set up 8) here's a few old pics of mine from about 2004 ;)

Image Image

2 x Technics 1210 MKII's with Stanton Trackmaster II's, 2 x Pioneer CDJ1000MKII's, Pionneer DJM800 mixer, Technics SJ-MD150 mini-disc recorder, Pioneer PDR609 CD Recorder, Technics SU300 amp, Jamo speakers.

The pics shows a DJM600 mixer that has been replaced by the DJM800 and my old G4 Powerbook but thats long gone after I dropped it, but the nice insurance people replaced it with a 15" MacBook Pro that I run Traktor & Ableton on 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:22 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:18 pm
Posts: 1908
Location: Macbook or iphone
Awesome! And you've a pace in the shed :lol:
I had a set of silver mk2's which I loved. I've stayed away from using CDJ'S and trakor but most new music (or shit I want) I can't find on wax anymore. The kids use CDJ'S in my bar and seem fairly easy to use. May take the plunge!
What genre do you play?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:41 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am
Posts: 946
Location: Swansea/Birmingham
Awkward Kid wrote:
Awesome! And you've a pace in the shed :lol:
I had a set of silver mk2's which I loved. I've stayed away from using CDJ'S and trakor but most new music (or shit I want) I can't find on wax anymore. The kids use CDJ'S in my bar and seem fairly easy to use. May take the plunge!
What genre do you play?


Great minds think a-like ;)

I've had the mk2's since my 16th birthday, knocking on 36 now. I did think about upgrading to the mk5's when they came out but found better things to spend my money on. I thought the same as you when the CDJ's first hit the scene, I remember Graeme Park doing an article on them in MixMag and thinking thats cheating, but as you say, things have moved on quite a bit. I do love vinyl though and when I can I go to places like Vinyl Exchange for a good old hunt through the boxes, I would never sell the decks or any of my vinyl, got a garage full of it, god knows how much I've spent on plastic from 1990 to now!
I don't really have a favourite genre, I like & play everything, house, garage, breakbeat, jungle, rap, and I've also played the drums since I was about 8 or 9 so enjoy rock, heavy metal, jazz......you name it, I probably listen to it.

What stuff are you into or are you the same as me, as long as it good you listen to it? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:01 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:18 pm
Posts: 1908
Location: Macbook or iphone
Almost the same. I did a bit of the circuit upt north/midlands late 90's early 2000's. Notts, Sheff & Manc. I'm massively into deep/electro house at the mo (kinky movement, inland knights etc). Back in the day I did warm up sets for the dream team, Mat Jam Lemont etc funky house sh#t :D. Started for the music and to meet girls... Met one and she wasn't to keen on me doing it anymore! Go figure?! These days I've a mix of hip hop, house (lots of old shit, vocal piano goodness), dnb, loads of soul/Motown and my old indie collect from back in the day.
I play in my bar every now again and the kids crowd round looking at the decks trying to figure it out :lol: HTFR have my wish list and pin number to get some stuff i lost and tracks I don't seem to be able to get on wax. Think a set of CDJ'S are calling sad to say


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:33 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am
Posts: 946
Location: Swansea/Birmingham
Awkward Kid wrote:
Almost the same. I did a bit of the circuit upt north/midlands late 90's early 2000's. Notts, Sheff & Manc. I'm massively into deep/electro house at the mo (kinky movement, inland knights etc). Back in the day I did warm up sets for the dream team, Mat Jam Lemont etc funky house sh#t :D. Started for the music and to meet girls... Met one and she wasn't to keen on me doing it anymore! Go figure?! These days I've a mix of hip hop, house (lots of old shit, vocal piano goodness), dnb, loads of soul/Motown and my old indie collect from back in the day.
I play in my bar every now again and the kids crowd round looking at the decks trying to figure it out :lol: HTFR have my wish list and pin number to get some stuff i lost and tracks I don't seem to be able to get on wax. Think a set of CDJ'S are calling sad to say


I played in a few clubs around Birmingham, The Steering Wheel, Bakers, Stoodi's, and further afield like the The Sound Factory in Manchester, them were the days, would jump at the chance to spin some choons in a club again though.

I used to love HTFR, remember when Jason opened his first 'shop' as such in an office block in the centre of Brum, it was like walking into a treasure room, especially when DJ's like Pete Tong sent boxes of records to him to sell but since they've moved to the new place they've stopped the browsing of the old vinyl, only the new stuff in the shop now :(

Why don't you just go with Traktor Pro to mix with instead of CDJ's, that way you can still have the control & feel of using vinyl but playing MP3's from the laptop ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:50 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:18 pm
Posts: 1908
Location: Macbook or iphone
1210tech wrote:

I played in a few clubs around Birmingham, The Steering Wheel, Bakers, Stoodi's, and further afield like the The Sound Factory in Manchester, them were the days, would jump at the chance to spin some choons in a club again though.

I used to love HTFR, remember when Jason opened his first 'shop' as such in an office block in the centre of Brum, it was like walking into a treasure room, especially when DJ's like Pete Tong sent boxes of records to him to sell but since they've moved to the new place they've stopped the browsing of the old vinyl, only the new stuff in the shop now :(

Why don't you just go with Traktor Pro to mix with instead of CDJ's, that way you can still have the control & feel of using vinyl but playing MP3's from the laptop ;)


Yeah I've looked at that but have you tried carrying a set of decks into a venue (I'm in my 30's as well), my god they are heavy or I'm getting far to old!!! 1200's/1210's where industry standard BID and now it's Pioneer whatever they are call. I've set set a work so kinda make sense to get some for home. There's every chance I've been at one of your nights. I did a few gigs at Golden in Manchester and later on at a club called Ampersands. Had some mad nights at Sundaysensual in brum... Really fun times. You don't see kids these days with flight cases full of records rocking up to a gig. CD wallet and MacBook.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:10 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:55 am
Posts: 946
Location: Swansea/Birmingham
Awkward Kid wrote:
Yeah I've looked at that but have you tried carrying a set of decks into a venue (I'm in my 30's as well), my god they are heavy or I'm getting far to old!!! 1200's/1210's where industry standard BID and now it's Pioneer whatever they are call. I've set set a work so kinda make sense to get some for home. There's every chance I've been at one of your nights. I did a few gigs at Golden in Manchester and later on at a club called Ampersands. Had some mad nights at Sundaysensual in brum... Really fun times. You don't see kids these days with flight cases full of records rocking up to a gig. CD wallet and MacBook.


Oh yeah, good point, I didn't think about the fact that theres not many venues with 1210's still in the booth, sad really. I still can't believe they've stopped making 1210's too, its like the death of a whole generation.
I didn't play at or really go to Sundissential, went once or twice, one of my mates played there quite a bit, hard house wasn't really my bag.
Flight cases look so much cooler than a laptop bag though don't they! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:11 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:34 pm
Posts: 26146
Location: Moomin Valley
Get a room!

I miss my 1210's. Had to sell them and my CDJ's. I managed to hang on to my Yamaha AN1x, found a SY85 at a car boot and am saving for a Raveolution and a Korg EA-1... Tried Ableton but its too computery for a dafty like me.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: al-onestare, old_coyote_pedaller and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group