Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:52 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:41 pm 
South East AEC
South East AEC

I use a blackberry PlayBook, no problems here, with it! Would like a longer battery but it's not really a issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:13 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Spent a little more time looking into this. The Scroll Extreme & Elite from ebuyer / scan look pretty good. However looks like a whole slew of cheap android tablets with the dual core RK3066 chipsets coming through, something like this > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N90-Dual-Core ... 828wt_1064 . Might take a flyer on one from China...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:53 pm 
Retro Guru

The gadget show did a test.

http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/vid ... et-tablets

Before I got my galaxy tab (ended up getting it very very cheap) I was going to get an Andy Pad pro.
http://www.andypad.co.uk/products/5-andy-pad-pro.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:38 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

s_zigmond wrote:

When did they do that test?

I'm sure there's the odd, rare beastie available at the £100 mark that might make a usable tablet for those with limited needs, I think looking at tablets from around £140 - £210 is a sort of good range for budget tablets. Tablets at around the £100 mark or less, tend to be seriously compromised, one way, or another, compared with the things they will be measured against (ie type of touchscreen, hardware / CPU, battery life, real world performance).

When I was deliberating, I'd had a look at deals posted on hotukdeals, and comments, and then considered what type of developer community was supporting software or rom development / implementation for the tablet. But in fairness, that was because going back a while, plenty of tablets were being sold with 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 versions of Android - which if you listen to many, are unusable and unwieldly in todays world of at least Honeycomb or ICS - so developer support was good for 2 reasons, really - 1) there was sufficient that had bought it and cared enough to bother doing any software development / porting for it 2) if you listen to others (before you've really had much exposure to it) anything less than Honeycomb is pointless.

For many of the budget tablets suggested in this thread, though, and they're already running ICS, so whether there's probably not the same degree of developer focus or need. And in regard to my other point, I find my Android tablet perfectly usable, fast, smooth, and rock-solid on a tweaked 2.2 implementation.

It does seem something of a minefield at the budget end of the market. I get why some would say spend plenty and get a known quantity. But then that comes back to a point I made earlier. If I had to spend loads on a tablet I simply wouldn't have bought one. But what I would say, is that the £150 I spent on a budget Android tablet 8 or 9 months ago, was money well spent, because I've not regretted it once, not regretted having bought budget, and had great value and use from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:29 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

Another option - several high-street stores are selling the Arnova 10 G3 tablet at around the £150 mark - given the other models looked at, doesn't seem to bad spec (1G RAM, and 4G storage on-board, expandable as has USB host and I think a microsd slot).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I've been putting it off waiting for them dual cores to make an appearance for about a month now. either way they'll be better or the 'A8's will be cheaper.

I'll await a verdict from John then :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:13 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

FluffyChicken wrote:
I've been putting it off waiting for them dual cores to make an appearance for about a month now. either way they'll be better or the 'A8's will be cheaper.

I'll await a verdict from John then :lol:

Thanks Ben :wink:

For the moment narrowed it down to either the Window N90 Dual Core or Gemini G9T Dual Core. Both are 9.7" which is the size I reckon I'll go for. Probably have to risk ordering direct from China. Hmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 pm 
Special Retro Guru
Special Retro Guru

FluffyChicken wrote:

Tegra 3s are quad core, aren't they?

My budget tablet that I've had a while is dual core (Tegra 2 (250 T20)) so dual-cores have been available on quite a wide range of tablets for a while, really - was never really sure why the A8s have seemingly been used in he interim - are the roughly on a par, then, or just marginally cheaper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:59 pm 
The Guv'nor
The Guv'nor

Getting bored of looking around so ordered a YuanDuan N90 Dual from a Chinese website. Wish me luck.

Looks a good chipset and device, just have to hope this gets picked up by the custom firmware modders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:53 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Also have to hope it does not get picked up by the HMRC! Looks a tremendous deal if it slides through un charged.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next