Roadies, what actually IS their problem?

totti

Retrobike Rider
Whenever I'm out on the bike on the road, I acknowledge other cyclists with a nod of the head / hand raise / or an "alright" shout.
I like to think most retro bikers would do the same. Anyway, most keen mtb'ers respond but the lycra'd up roadies rarely even pass a glance...
Annoying...
Why is this?

In fact, I was out on my road bike this morning, all lycra'd up, getting in an early 45mile training run for a sportive I've entered - numerous roadies passed in the opposite direction but only 2 even acknowledged me. Seriously...

Did a mountain bike and a road bike have a fairly messy divorce in the past or what??

I take it that when you're driving, you wave at everyone going in the opposite direction because you happen to be using the same mode of transport?

No , but when I'm walking, I doff my cap and bid people "Good Day!"
Old fashioned common courtesy.
Probably absent in these common oiks due to the profligate use of composite materials in today's bicycles.

No idea, but on this side of the channel we have problems with "that kind" too.
And with Belgium being such a cycle-crazy country, the roads are swarming with them whenever there's a hint of good weather.

They're not just lacking manners. They seem to think traffic laws don't apply to them.
Riding on the road when there's a perfectly fine cycle path, riding 3 or 4 wide so nobody can get past, instant road rage when a car driver honks or tries to overtake them, no stopping for pedestrians who try to cross the street at a zebra crossing, ignoring red lights, etc etc.

Look, I can understand it perfectly fine if they ride on the road when the cycle path is in bad condition, especially on those skinny tyres.
I could argue that they should buy a decent bike or pick routes that are better suited to their bikes, but let's just ignore that for now.
IF you choose to ride on the road instead of the cycle path, at least have the decency to ride behind eachother and try not to block other traffic.
And don't act like you own the whole friggin road because you managed to get that beer belly into a piece of lycra. It really doesn't make you a proper or professional cyclist.
What's that saying again? You can polish a turd, but it's still a turd ?

Depends if she is 'hot' other wise not that interested in other cyclists. Good chance i'll look at their bike and hate it

i did 90 miles today, in all weathers, full lycra on a modern road bike......just for the record i stopped at every red light and waved heartily at every other cyclist i saw.....every one waved back too......i dont think its a cycling thing, those that dont say hello are probably those who wouldnt acnowledge you when passing in the street on foot either.....i get the comment about random waving being daft, but we are essentially herding animals. i dont want to swap spit with every one of them, but i do feel a connection to all the others who have shunned family time to randomly ride around on their velocipede in the pissing rain.....its the same connection that makes instant friendship with folk we have never met before on our rides!..... life is just better with a modicome of good will......i send parts to people here through the post karma stylee, is that not an extension of the same thing?...:D

i think its hard for a lot of roadies to let on to you & give you a nob because they have a stick wedged that far up their ass its hard for them to move their head.

by me, there seem to be definite types.

mtb, commuters & hybrids almost always give a nod

road bikes old or new with lone cyclists almost always let on

pairs of roadies are hit & miss as to whether they do or not

tandems - never known a stoker not give a 'hello' as the pass

roadies in club / team lycra... they give cyclists who use the roads a bad name. I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest their bibs & their saddles turn into sharpened parsnips and bludgeon them!

As a motorbikerider we always nod to each other and most people resiprocate.

When walking the dog a good morning never hurts whith fellow dog walkers.

Usually acknowledge cyclist as well.

And most classic car drivers wave to each other.

I think it's a way of being freindly to others and noticing that we like to be a bit different and not follow the trend like headless sheep.

jax13":r5u4oc0b said:
roadies in club / team lycra... they give cyclists who use the roads a bad name. I hope the fleas of a thousand camels infest their bibs & their saddles turn into sharpened parsnips and bludgeon them!

I have to agree with this. Especially when they are in a bunch taking up the whole of the road. They don't seem to understand that they are not in the 'tour'. :twisted:
But I don't think it is related to what they cycle. It's a gang thing.

Seems a shame that with all we have to put up with as cyclists there are divisions amongst the various 'factions'. We all have a common bond that is bigger than our differences. :(

Latest posts

Back