Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:13 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:06 pm 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 am
Posts: 4840
Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Ok progress report!

By May this year I got down to 13st3lbs. We went to California for 2 weeks an obviously put a couple of pounds on! Didn't go back to the plan once I was back and weight has gone back up to 14st4lbs. Eek! So 6 months and 1 stone more!

This last week I've corrected my diet again and weighed myself at 14st exact this morning. So back on track!

Aiming to get back to 13st 3lbs by Christmas Day, then aiming for 12st by April.

That will then mean I will have lost ONE QUARTER of my body weight! Awesome!

Bit of a set back recently as I got knocked off my road bike by a fool in an Audi so that's out of action and I ache a fair bit but it'll work out ok soon.

Thanks all for the encouragement!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:26 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 1726
Location: UK Southwest
cchris2lou wrote:
I cycle, run and eat crap because I enjoy it .


Brilliant :lol: , me too!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 1726
Location: UK Southwest
Its worth remembering that we are pre-programed to crave fatty, sugary, salty foods etc. because we need these substances to live, they are our fuel, and we are pre-programmed to use as little energy as possible obtaining them. Watch one of those nature programs with lions or whatever hunting for their food. If the hunt fails they used up a load of energy but got nothing back. The next time they try they willl be weaker so the chance of success will be reduced. Eventually if they don't catch something they will die. So for them it's all about conservation of energy and when it's available consuming as much fat and sugar etc. as possible as it may be a while before they eat again. We were the same not too long ago, now though we can hop in the car (conserving our energy) and go to Tescos where we can buy as much fat and sugar as we can carry in the boot of said car and it's in our nature to do so!!! Evolution takes thousands of years and so hasn't caught up with farming and shops yet. It's only our higher level brains that can make this realisation and fight that programming by restricting what we eat and being active even though we don't need to be.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:04 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6840
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
JamesM wrote:
Its worth remembering that we are pre-programed to crave fatty, sugary, salty foods etc. because we need these substances to live, they are our fuel, and we are pre-programmed to use as little energy as possible obtaining them. Watch one of those nature programs with lions or whatever hunting for their food. If the hunt fails they used up a load of energy but got nothing back. The next time they try they willl be weaker so the chance of success will be reduced. Eventually if they don't catch something they will die. So for them it's all about conservation of energy and when it's available consuming as much fat and sugar etc. as possible as it may be a while before they eat again. We were the same not too long ago, now though we can hop in the car (conserving our energy) and go to Tescos where we can buy as much fat and sugar as we can carry in the boot of said car and it's in our nature to do so!!! Evolution takes thousands of years and so hasn't caught up with farming and shops yet. It's only our higher level brains that can make this realisation and fight that programming by restricting what we eat and being active even though we don't need to be.


Well, there are an awful lot of people losing that fight around here.


Keep up the hard work Rob, it'll be worth it.

I came back to cycling in an effort to get a bit fitter and lose some weight, as I wanted to do more work with my horse, and the more I weigh, the more he has to carry.

The cycling thing has taken on a life of it's own and I am now riding road and mtb. I am much fitter than I have been for years, and have dropped from a touch over 82 kg's down to 76kg, and I'm just over 6' 1" tall and 53 years old.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:14 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 1726
Location: UK Southwest
NeilM wrote:
JamesM wrote:
Its worth remembering that we are pre-programed to crave fatty, sugary, salty foods etc. because we need these substances to live, they are our fuel, and we are pre-programmed to use as little energy as possible obtaining them. Watch one of those nature programs with lions or whatever hunting for their food. If the hunt fails they used up a load of energy but got nothing back. The next time they try they willl be weaker so the chance of success will be reduced. Eventually if they don't catch something they will die. So for them it's all about conservation of energy and when it's available consuming as much fat and sugar etc. as possible as it may be a while before they eat again. We were the same not too long ago, now though we can hop in the car (conserving our energy) and go to Tescos where we can buy as much fat and sugar as we can carry in the boot of said car and it's in our nature to do so!!! Evolution takes thousands of years and so hasn't caught up with farming and shops yet. It's only our higher level brains that can make this realisation and fight that programming by restricting what we eat and being active even though we don't need to be.


Well, there are an awful lot of people losing that fight around here.



I think the problem is (and the point I was trying to make really) that most people haven't realised there is a fight. They just do what comes naturally, conserve energy and consume as much fuel as they can get. But our modern lives have made both to easy and so the balance has been lost.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:21 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am
Posts: 6840
Location: Nth Somerset, UK
JamesM wrote:

I think the problem is (and the point I was trying to make really) that most people haven't realised there is a fight. They just do what comes naturally, conserve energy and consume as much fuel as they can get. But our modern lives have made both to easy and so the balance has been lost.


I couldn't agree more, and unfortunately it is now becoming accepted by many that it is OK to be 'a little chubby' (read obese), and despite all the information to the contrary, people don't seem to think there is anything wrong with being overweight.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:35 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:33 am
Posts: 2917
Location: daaan saaaf
I'm about the same height, 5' 7.5" and weighed in at 15st 7lb. I've been on an intermittent fasting diet for about 3 months and am now down to 13st 7lb and seem to be still losing weigh steadily at 1 or 2lbs a week.

I've tried plain calorie restriction diets over the years and hate the feeling of being constantly hungry and never being able to fully satisfy my hunger. Whereas I'm finding intermittent fasting much more manageable and it's said to have health benefits beyond weight loss.

Here's some info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

I'm following a 5:2 plan, where I eat normally 5 days a week and 2 days a week, Thursday and Sunday for me, I eat just one small 500 to 600 callorie meal. I do feel hungry on my "fast" days, but not particularly unpleasantly so and I find that it is very do-able long term knowing that eat normally the rest of the time without callorie counting or feeling hungry and unsatisfied or having low energy levels.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:44 pm 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 am
Posts: 4840
Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
The trick with calorie control is that you have to find food that fills you up but is ultra good for you. I eat a lot of fruit and that helps. Porridge for breakfast.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:18 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm
Posts: 1726
Location: UK Southwest
Rob Atkin wrote:
The trick with calorie control is that you have to find food that fills you up but is ultra good for you. I eat a lot of fruit and that helps. Porridge for breakfast.


Yep its all about haing the right mindset. Back in the summer there was a 10k race (trail running) that I wanted to do but from my house to where the run was being held and back was just shy of 100 miles. That's along way to drive to run a 10k, so I cycled there :lol: . People at the event couldn't fathem my logic but it's simple; I couldnt justify driving my car all that way for a 10k run, but I don't need any justification to ride my bike any distance. Didn't post a bad time either and probably burnt the best part of 8000 calories during the course of the day which ment I could stuff my face with cake and not feel guilty :lol: .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:57 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:53 am
Posts: 762
Location: derbyshire
xerxes wrote:
I'm about the same height, 5' 7.5" and weighed in at 15st 7lb. I've been on an intermittent fasting diet for about 3 months and am now down to 13st 7lb and seem to be still losing weigh steadily at 1 or 2lbs a week.

I've tried plain calorie restriction diets over the years and hate the feeling of being constantly hungry and never being able to fully satisfy my hunger. Whereas I'm finding intermittent fasting much more manageable and it's said to have health benefits beyond weight loss.

Here's some info:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html

I'm following a 5:2 plan, where I eat normally 5 days a week and 2 days a week, Thursday and Sunday for me, I eat just one small 500 to 600 callorie meal. I do feel hungry on my "fast" days, but not particularly unpleasantly so and I find that it is very do-able long term knowing that eat normally the rest of the time without callorie counting or feeling hungry and unsatisfied or having low energy levels.


Stanley Mathews was into the fasting trick, i think he picked a monday for some reason (all games where a saturday then), his father was a boxing coach and i don't doubt this is where the pearl was gleaned (Mathews was still playing a lowly level of football into his '70's-top flight well into his '50's). There was a programme on the subject just recently, from memory they were getting a considerable % of life longevity out of mice that they'd starve for the day opposed to one's that did'nt. The cutting of weight was secondary to allowing all your major organs a day-off (something they dont get). I now swerve (zilch) food on a Tuesday, i'm 50 in Feb and tanning 50 miles of all hills without a saddle in the frame dont go me near the red, that said the same can be said for me two training partners but thier at the same fast trick.

Try eating a full beetroot (forget pickled) an hr before you train/exercise :wink:

edited to add...whoops i'd not opened the beeb link before posting


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mr Crudley and 26 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group