Thick as thieves

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Good grief.
Opened shop today and funny...no hot water.
Boiler fails to ignite. Odd
Check gas supply. Mmm...someone has turned the external cock off, by the meter.
Turn it on...WOW...gas! Bloody pipe has been stolen!
Jeez
Bring back the stocks.

Happened to us at work too with the water supply, they tore it off the wall, must of got all of 2 metres of copper, jakey basteds. We had to buy in bottled water use the local pub for toilets. Took 3 days to get it fixed through the landlord.

i got a call the other day at work, asking if you had a spare air conditioning condensing unit in stock, this was an old one, and so obsolete, they were asking as their one had been knicked

example photo of one below:

mini-split-condensers_jpg.jpg

its getting worse, i have to phone the manager now to see if we can use copper on new gas supplies.....usually its no.....and we stick steel in, this is the case on the outside of houses, shops etc.

even worse when i get called out of bed at stupid hours to cut off supplies that have been chopped off by scrap thieves.

Definitely, it is easy money for thieves, far too easy with little or no thought for the consequences.

A couple of places I take my dogs have been littered with pieces of electric motors, etc. I have seen the guys working out of the back of a transit full of rusty old bits and pieces. These disregarded pieces are often sharp and will take decades to break down.

No idea what the answer is, but I suppose it is going to involve a lot more tax payer pounds to solve.

highlandsflyer":3dy3hh4n said:
A couple of places I take my dogs have been littered with pieces of electric motors, etc. I have seen the guys working out of the back of a transit full of rusty old bits and pieces. These disregarded pieces are often sharp and will take decades to break down.

No idea what the answer is, but I suppose it is going to involve a lot more tax payer pounds to solve.

No not really just regulate the Scrap business. In fact it must be the only business that isn't.

Put a positive obligation on keeping records. All transactions must be accompanied by a copy of a drivers licence and a valid utilities receipt.

Ist offence £5k fine, 2nd £10k, 3rd £50k plus jail time. In fact fines are probably 2 low - who ever heard of a poor scrappy?

Bullpup":2avr35jo said:
highlandsflyer":2avr35jo said:

No not really just regulate the Scrap business. In fact it must be the only business that isn't.

Put a positive obligation on keeping records. All transactions must be accompanied by a copy of a drivers licence and a valid utilities receipt.

Ist offence £5k fine, 2nd £10k, 3rd £50k plus jail time. In fact fines are probably 2 low - who ever heard of a poor scrappy?

It is regulated, I know this. ;-)

Soon there will be the need to assess whether an operator has been convicted of handling stolen scrap when determining whether they should get a permit/keep their permit.

The problem is the burden of proof. It's practically impossible to prove that someone has got stolen property they are trying to weigh in as nothing has distinguishing marks etc. Stolen cars are quite easy to trace, obviously, as is some industrial cabling but everything else is nigh impossible.

Extra regulation won't help at all, but extra resources for the Police to work in this area will.

Rob Atkin":3v1afg5a said:
Bullpup":3v1afg5a said:
highlandsflyer":3v1afg5a said:

It is regulated, I know this. ;-)

Soon there will be the need to assess whether an operator has been convicted of handling stolen scrap when determining whether they should get a permit/keep their permit.

The problem is the burden of proof. It's practically impossible to prove that someone has got stolen property they are trying to weigh in as nothing has distinguishing marks etc. Stolen cars are quite easy to trace, obviously, as is some industrial cabling but everything else is nigh impossible.

Extra regulation won't help at all, but extra resources for the Police to work in this area will.

Surely just forcing scrap dealers to check for and record the identity of anyone who sells to them would go along way.

Back