camelbak?

NAILTRAIL96

Senior Retro Guru
Is anybody using these type of small rucksack?.
I remember a mate buying one when they were just out and it constantly going mouldy (maybe he just didn't clean it right) but he did say it was a right ball ache, have they got better?.
Are the bags anoying or do you get used to them.
Thinking of getting one for christmas (if santa allows) but not if they get you sweaty underneath.
Cheers.

Fantastic invention.
Water, tools, spare tube, pump, mobile, emergency rations :LOL: , housekeys etc all tucked up in a comfy little pack that I only ever know is there when I take a drink.
No wiping mud off your water bottle top, no adding weight to your bike, no worries about any of it falling off.

As far as cleaning is concerned I only use water in mine and empty it fully when I'm done. Not had any problems yet. :D

Love my camelbak, much better than water bottles IMHO.

No mud or anything else that looks a bit like mud (but isn't!) on what you're drinking from, room to store a few essential spares and maybe a little bit of clothing if the weather looks changeable

As with any rucksack you may get a little bit sweaty underneath it in hot weather, but you usually don't notice it as most Camelbak's have an airflow system on them to help prevent sweatiness

As for cleaning, just bung it in the freezer after your ride and the nasties have less chance to turn the bladder into a minging mess

I do clean my bladder out every so often with Milton liquid, just to be sure there's no nasties in there

Like bike chains if you don't look after them they go rotten. I only use water in mine, rinse after washing with boiling water then hang it out on the line with the hanger drier device they make. )I have seen one made out of big zipties - but couldn't be bothered faffing so spent a fiver on one).

I hadn't used a Camelbak until last year - so to see if I liked the way it worked, I bought a cheapy Decathlon one. It cost £20 as opposed to quite a bit more for a real CamelBak.

As the guys say - it works well - spares/tools in there, rations etc.

Also bought a cheap brush kit from Decathlon too - to keep it clean.

+1 for milton, although I use the tablets rather than the liquid milton, but it makes no difference which you use :)

I love my camelbak, it really is excellent, well worth the money.

One of the best inventions ever for cycling. There is also the logic that if you put 2 full water bottles on your bike then the weight savings you have spent a fortune to enjoy are instantly negated by 2Kg of water.

I've also got a Deuter rucksac that takes a bladder if you want to put one in there. Really well made comfortable bags and you can carry more kit that with a standard Camelbak. And they take a 2 litre bladder from any manufacturer.

i dont get on with them, dont like the weight on my back, hate getting a sweaty back, really hate when the dribble all over you or a branch rips the nipple off.

i tend not to ride for much more than 2 or 3 hours so a water bottle usually does me unless it is really hot

Got a very small one a few years ago but it only had a small pouch for a phone or a snack bar and nothing else, it cost about £20. It went mouldy after something was left in it, but a £5 brush kit from sports direct and some hot water sorted it out. The bite valve split earler this year and I got wet during the 12hr lawnmower race (this was really annoying), and costs £6 to replace! I was not exactly impressed by it, but I was convinced it was a good idea so....
I replaced it with an £11.99 one from Tescos that has a bigger bladder and a decent size of ruck sack, used it 4 times since I got it, much, much better, keeps all my tools and spares in it for a big ride, a waterproof top, snacks and a great safe pouch for a phone too. I do still take 1 extra bottle for a big ride though but generally refill the bladder with it rather than drink from it.

Carl.

Back