Aldi tap & die set ?

sylus

Old School Grand Master
I'm guessing some never shop at Aldi and of those some will never use a tool unless it has been overpriced and has a snap on badge on it :LOL: :p

But in todays paper Aldi are doing a tap & die set for £14.99, great for threads etc on the smaller size especially after a re paint. Has anyone got one/used one? are they value for money against how much you use them?

I have a Lidl's metric tap and die set, similar sort of thing and fine for chasing threads and have I used it professionally, it does the job asked of it and has lasted. But like any tool, used for it's correct purpose and with care, it will perform and last.

Looks a lot more comprehensive than the one I got for a similar price from B&Q. Not sure how durable it would be, but for occasional use, it's got to be worth a punt. Thanks for the heads up!

sylus":gsp9fci3 said:
I'm guessing some never shop at Aldi and of those some will never use a tool unless it has been overpriced and has a snap on badge on it :LOL: :p

But in todays paper Aldi are doing a tap & die set for £14.99, great for threads etc on the smaller size especially after a re paint. Has anyone got one/used one? are they value for money against how much you use them?

It depends on the quality of materials used for the manufacture - a recognised brand name will confirm this and instil confidence in the purchase of a quality product. A budget supermarket would not, but going by past non food Aldi purchases, they should be ok.

Look for this mark on the item:

markimg004.gif

Its similar to the old kite mark

Product_detail_Wk3T24.jpg

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _17259.htm

But as with the expensive sets, when cutting a virgin thread and chasing if you like, use lubrication, it is good for the thread and the cutting tool. A good cutting compound, not spray lube, that stuff is too thin and does not transfer heat away well.

Strangely, water soaked soap works well, you know that stuff that appears on the bottom of a soap bar when left on the side of the sink, usually white in colour.

But I agree, the GS mark is a good indication of tools fit for the job.

Avoid chocolate tools all they do is remove skin.

i just looked on the Aldi website. i really get sucked in by these deals. just like JML :) although, as said before, cheap tools, if used sensibly and correctly and not intensively, can last just as long as high end stuff.
i'm considering stopping by Aldi tonight to check out those deals.
and TUV/GS testing accreditation is something i come across all the time in my job and is reassuring. got a foot pump from Tesco for £6 with that stamped on it :) tiz a good pump yar :)

Tap and die? I thought this was about Hugh Hefner's wedding night.

I am still using a set I got from Lidl years ago. Nought wrong with them. :)

I got mine for about £30 ,pretty good quality of tungsten carbide at that price.Old tools at car boot sales are a good bet,usually high quality too .

It all depends how much you're going to use them and for what.

I've got a set for externally threading conduit I bought for work and for two dies and the handles etc was over £90 10 years ago. However they are still going strong.

If it is just for clearing threads and occasional retapping it should be fine.

Back