i need your help, i want your encouragement/abuse etc!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
basically i hate winter, and not just a little bit, alot!! :x :x it sucks so bad usually by the end of november i just don't want to go out :(

i got a few rides in in early december but nothing major, problem is work can get in the way with me because of nightshifts, and also recently covering some overtime has eaten in to my time off aswel. also my main riding buddy works normal mon-fri and every other saturday so having someone to ride with isn't always possible as i work 2 days, 2 nights then 4 off so he's on a normal 7 day rota and i am on an 8 day rota if that makes sense!

so with a combination of hating winter, no one to ride with, overtime, and weird working hours (aswel as the innevitable piss ups in december) i always lose motivation to be out on the bike over the colder months :( BUT this year i want it to be different!!! :shock:

THIS IS WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP!! :D

a couple of years ago i did a thread about what riding i was doing and i felt almost embarrassed if i didn't post on it regularly saying i had been out, it worked, i got pretty fit out of just making sure i had something to post! :D

stupid i know! :oops: :roll: but it seemed to work!

so i need your encouragement saying well done or a post on this thread saying "OI!!! GET OUT ON YOU BIKE YOU LAZY GIT!!!" :LOL:

so today was the first ride in almost 3 weeks :oops: :oops:

i wanted to do 20ish miles on the road bike before tonights nightshift, a local road ride, i am gonna try and stick to the road bike just because along with some others on here i also hate the constant cleaning the winter brings!!

initially i plucked the dynamo out of the garage, 2 pedal strokes made me realise that the new chain didn't want to know with the used cassette, back into the garage to get the next bike then :roll: was gonna be the cross bike(with slicks) but then i couldn't find the shoes for that bike :roll: (different pedals) so then i thought well it's dry outside, sod it, get the condor out ;) i don't usually let this bike out in the winter purely because it's manky outside but it's also a bit of a treat to ride.

so off i went spinning on the inside ring, the idea being spin rather than push gears, on the whole ride i only went on the top ring 3 times, all down hills, other than that it was spinning all the time, my house to lepe beach, inchmerry, exbury, beaulieu, east boldre, beaulieu, exbury, blackfield, home.

so todays stats are:-

19.56 miles
16.5 average
32.6 max
1hr 10mins

quite happy with that for a "spin", last year by the summer i was averaging about 19.2 over a 40 mile ride starting with similar speeds in the winter so hopefully this is a good start, i just need to keep it up!!

here's a pic of todays weapon

and remember I NEED YOU TO ENCOURAGE OR SHOUT AT ME TO GET OUT ON THE BIKE!! :LOL:

Attachments

• condor italia.jpg
    condor italia.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 3,035
stay in and keep warm. What's that at the top of your seat post near the seat??

To be fair I never ride alone now, except for the commute. Fortunately there are a good bunch of willing local riders to select from to go out with whenever I am free.

Can you commute at least?

Get out on your bike or I'll come and stab you. :x

I MEAN IT!!! *brandishes breadknife*..................

Lysander":28kn5mxd said:

Thats a bit harsh :shock:

I'll just come and burn your house down ;)

i could commute but it is a pain really 6am/6pm start or finishes and it's 3 miles so hardly worth it. also at this time of year getting up at 4.45am to get to work and shower to start for 6am doesn't appeal.

what i usually do in the summer is ride in the long way round for the nightshifts, then straight home in the morning, in the summer i don't need motivating to get out, i just do it.

so during a summer 8 day week (starting with the first work day) it goes like this:-

day 1- work 12 hour shift
day 2- work 12 hour shift
day 3- lie in a bit as i am working the night, ride to work starting at 4.15pm then ride 3 miles home in the morning.

day 4- ride into work the long way again, and home in the morning 3miles
day 5- evening ride
day 6- afternoon ride
day 7- usually nothing
day 8- afternoon ride

so that's potentially 5 rides in 8 days

that's the summer, in the winter i just look out the window and think . . . No.

jimihendrix":2dckfvmz said:
Lysander":2dckfvmz said:

Thats a bit harsh :shock:

I'll just come and burn your house down ;)

i consider those comments as helpful encouragement!! :LOL:

If it's any consolation, I also work odd hours and tend to ride on my own as I can just go when it suits rather than having to burden others with my schedule.
If it helps, I've done three rides this week - all on the MTB - a 35 miler - a 30 miler and a 40 miler.
Get on yer bike and catch me if you can!! :)

last week my wife decided to lay down the law, to cut a long story short ive been told to get out the house on saterdays and go for ride while she gets on with the housework :shock:, not being one to argue i decided to do as she said.
so if you find youself at a lose end jonnyboy come and drag me out the house, my misses will be gratefull. :D

Back