Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Did any body else notice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:48 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

That on the news the leader of the conservatives went out on his bike. But he didn't ware his crash hat just hung it on his handlebar. Then rode through a red light. Not a good example to set if he wants to be PM.
Why do people buy crash hats and hang them on the handle bar?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:04 pm 
BoTM Winner / retrobike rider

Didn't see it TinTin but I did cross the local 'chaingang' on the way home last night - about 9/10 riders and only 2 with helmets. Why do so few 'roadies' wear helmets? Very rare you see an MTBer without one.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:16 pm 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

when I was hiring out MTB's and 'hard' bloked refused top wear one (it was obligatory as part of the hiring terms) I would just say you can't be riding hard enough to think you need one - that soon made them do it as they didn't want to be seen to be wooses.

Oh and the other thing that REALLY annoys me is parents out on their bikes with their kids - kids have helmets, parents don't - what kind of example is that...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:18 pm 
Retro Guru

MadCowKev wrote:
Didn't see it TinTin but I did cross the local 'chaingang' on the way home last night - about 9/10 riders and only 2 with helmets. Why do so few 'roadies' wear helmets? Very rare you see an MTBer without one.....

Uhm, I have to say around where I bike (Holland) I have to really pay attention to see an MTBer who DOES wear a helmet... God forbid I only wore a helmet once in 18 years of riding (sorry, just don't like wearing a helmet. I know it's safe to do so).

Of course in competitions everyone wears one. Maybe some other riders in Holland wear helmets (since I saw Elev12K with one in his pics). But me and just about everyone that rides with me don't wear one. Guess we've all been lucky for the past years :oops: :oops:

And yeah, roadies with a helmet are even rarer here too... but off-road you often crash a bit "softer" than on the pavement/tarmac ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:25 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

orange71 wrote:

Oh and the other thing that REALLY annoys me is parents out on their bikes with their kids - kids have helmets, parents don't - what kind of example is that...

I AGREE 100% :shock:

Sorry people I only ware a crash hat when racing. As you can't race if you don't have one, due to insurance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:27 pm 
King of the DuckBoard
King of the DuckBoard

MadCowKev wrote:

And yet my local roadies wont let me ride with them as i don't ware a hat. well thats their excuse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:30 pm 

Void(EN12-82) wrote:
God forbid I only wore a helmet once in 18 years of riding (sorry, just don't like wearing a helmet. I know it's safe to do so) ;-)

:shock: I don't even ride to the pub without mine - neither do my cycling firends!

I've been riding offroad since 1989 - bought bike and helmet together cannot imagine ever getting on my MTB and not wearing it - I'll admit in the past to not wearing one (or a functional one at least :D ) when riding on the road or timetrialing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:13 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Void(EN12-82) wrote:
Of course in competitions everyone wears one. Maybe some other riders in Holland wear helmets (since I saw Elev12K with one in his pics). But me and just about everyone that rides with me don't wear one. Guess we've all been lucky for the past years :oops: :oops:

It is the same for yo-eddy and the rest of the tribe. I am the exception, though do sometimes encounter people wearing one.

Think that Camaron guy secretly dreams of becoming PM overhere :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:16 pm 
Concours Judge
Concours Judge

Btw I NEVER encounter people wearing a helmet on a regular bike. Okay, I sometimes do, but than they are German tourists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:26 pm 
Social Secretary
Social Secretary

The amount I crash I need to wear a helmet !!