All the gear no idea?

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
This is almost a question of MTB fashion...

I was riding the Kona last night, out with my mate who's just bought a £700 GT but never been in to Mountain Biking. Being from Cambridge the local trails are in no way challenging, it was a warm evening and i have no bottle cage so the Camelbak was on. Other than that i was pretty much just in combats and a t-shirt.

For those that know it, we rode through Milton Country Park, to Bite Bait Lock, along the river to Grantchester Meadows and on to Byrons Pond.

At one point we bumped in to a dozen or so guys on pricey steeds, fully kitted out and some even with helmet cameras :shock: . As usual i was ahead of my mate so took the opportunity to stop and gaze in bemusement. They eyed my retro-ride distrustfully before riding off, with one guy commenting 'Not enough Hills for us around here'.

Am i a bad person for thinking these guys were taking things far too seriously, or do others treat every ride as seriously??

Tallpaul":2byadg16 said:
Am i a bad person for thinking these guys were taking things far too seriously, or do others treat every ride as seriously??

Your not wrong Tall paul. I Can't take any thing serious. I wish i'ed been there. Could have had some fun :LOL:

and ya didnt even invite me out for a ride, lol

i do know what ya mean, so many cyclists come in the shop with really expensive bikes and no idea.

sold a cannondale good boy 5k bike to a rich bloke who wanted it to go the pub and he liked the look off it, when we gave him the road wheels which came with it, he wasnt fussed in taking them.

:)

With you TP - i regularly go for a leisuely spin in baggies and T-shirt. Only bit of gear i always wear is my lid - i use those click in plates on my SPDs so I can ride to the pub in trainers!

I guess it's a way of justifying the level of hardware they had on display. I shudder to think what the footage from their helmet cams will show though? Presumably some footage of the guy in fronts lycra clad arse :shock:

I'm glad to hear that not everyone is so anal about riding. :D

Reminds me of the time Russell and I were riding up Leckhampton hill. We had been out for an hour or so and had come back to the car to start another circuit. Some guy with a Fiesta starts to unload a full suss DH bike and puts on his full face helmet. He then proceeds to ride down a 200 yard descent and land about 2 feet of air at the bottom. Un impressed, and a little bemused I roll my rigid RC200 up and do the same thing he did. He went home. :LOL:

I then stripped my seat clamp on the Pace putting my saddle back up and Russells BB collapsed, so that was that.

Seriuosly though, the guy drove there and spent longer getting his bike in and out of the car than he did riding it! :shock:

I use a helmet cam.....

But only on my dirt bike!!

tried to use it at chick sands one night on the mountain bike.....was rubbish!

Back