Newbies certainly not welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

dajwid

Dirt Disciple
I am a new member, I posted a question about a bike that I picked up at a boot fair. 1 person replied, and many thanks to him for the help.

I then said I wanted to sell the bike whole or in parts, a few people asked about parts.

Then one person thought it was out of order to ask for info then sell the bike (even though I offered it here first).

I quote:
So, let me get this straight.
You are stumbling around a car boot fair looking for some old Pentax and come across a steel road bike. You buy it for £80 not having a clue a)what it is, and b) what it is worth. You then think, I know I will ask them helpful guys at Retrobike for more information as to a) what it is, and b) whether you have been "ripped off" paying £80. Nice, helpful replies to the your mail. All good then.
Then, thinking you have found a 'bargain' you then try and sell it on to the very same folks who helped you out in the first place with a 120% mark up

Is it me or does this just stink?

The administrator then adds
No it's not just you.

I'd be surprised if something like this didn't get a similar reaction on other forums.

If / when you list on ebay feel free to link to it in the correct section. In the meantime, locking this.

I am in a number of forums, we happily help people, value things and would certainly not treat new members in this way.

If this is the way the retro bike community works I am pleased I had not invested any time or money in this hobby. I am sad for the real members that willingly offer help and encourage membership.

Maybe I have just been lucky and joined friendly forums in the post.

The bike is on Ebay, sorry to the members here that wanted some of the parts, only wanted a couple of quid for them, that's how other forums work.

I'm only coming in at this with no prior knowledge of your transaction - however if it is the case you have made it clear what you paid for it, then try sell it on at a profit on here then it's just generally seen as poor form. If you want profit you go to ebay, where we'll all find it anyway as we have eagle eyes :p . On the whole we tend to sell things on here at the price we got them, because it is a friendly forum and we aren't in it for the money.

We get a lot of people signing up to make a quick buck off our knowledge never to be seen again and it just grates after a while.

Apologies if this gets the wrong end of the stick in your case.

Really poor attitude there again.

I'm tempted to lock this but feel others may wish to chime in. I did try and end it with what was meant to be a fairly firm yet not hostile comment but is seems you're keen on getting the last word.

You bought an item for £80.
You asked people on the site for advice which was readily given.
You then offered the same item for sale for £200.
You were then surprised at the response!

Get real. I'm a member of lots of other forums. On each and everyone someone would get some stick for these sorts of actions. In fact I think the chiding you had here was quite friendly. This is a friendly place on the whole, in my book making a profit of £120 from the same people who have just given you advice is hardly friendly.

im neither her nor there but generally its not very fair to sell at such a profit
although pricing is only worth what someone will pay.
like orange71 said though, it happens all to often, which isnt on really. especially when advice is offered, the price should be lowered for that member at least :?

newbies are VERY welcome
apart from those that spam :roll: :LOL:

John":2lcj5h3l said:
This is a friendly place on the whole, in my book making a profit of £120 from the same people who have just given you advice is hardly friendly.

100% +1

Decided to keep the bike. Discovered today that the spare wheels take normal tyres as opposed to the 'glue on type', that is what put me off keeping the bike.

I will be putting the wheels on Ebay if anyone is interested, last set the same sold for £80 :? :twisted:

Oooops shouldn't have said that sorry.

Sorry if I have offended anyone but if you bought a bike cheap and didn't need it would you honestly sell it to another member for the same price you paid, if you knew it was worth double? Maybe you would.

My questions were about the frame (still don't know what it is by the way)
Also about the wheels, this was clarified by a very helpful member.

Am I now allowed to ride and enjoy my retro bike if I stand in the naughty corner.

If anyone wants to make an offer for the wheels, they are of no use to me includes 2 sets of tyres.

dajwid":3c36ik3g said:
Decided to keep the bike. Discovered today that the spare wheels take normal tyres as opposed to the 'glue on type', that is what put me off keeping the bike.

I will be putting the wheels on Ebay if anyone is interested, last set the same sold for £80 :? :twisted:

Oooops shouldn't have said that sorry.

Sorry if I have offended anyone but if you bought a bike cheap and didn't need it would you honestly sell it to another member for the same price you paid, if you knew it was worth double? Maybe you would.

My questions were about the frame (still don't know what it is by the way)
Also about the wheels, this was clarified by a very helpful member.

Am I now allowed to ride and enjoy my retro bike if I stand in the naughty corner.

If anyone wants to make an offer for the wheels, they are of no use to me includes 2 sets of tyres.

If you want to sell items here please read the guidance > http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17697. As was pointed out before all items need a price and need to be in the correct forum.

The ethos on here is very much "sell at a fair price to fellow enthusiasts"

Several times a day you will see people selling items that they have bought on here and then decide to resell for whatever reason. They damn near always sell for what they paid. Or less.

And that to me is a fantastic way to operate.

dajwid":1qgcm35i said:

That's odd. Usually people that "don't know what they've bought" aren't interested in "glue on type" wheels once they've found out the ritual involved in replacing the tires, and would be more inclined to keep clinchers.

Apologies in advance, newbies deserve a break, it sounds like you've been given one but still come across as a plonker regardless.

dajwid":3t0o3b8e said:

No need for the naughty corner, just jog on!

dajwid":3t0o3b8e said:

You'll need to post a price or the post will get locked, oh and tell us again, are they "normal" or "glue on", go on, "normal" or "glue on", it's too funny the way you say it :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back