£1000 to spend on a new bike...

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
Just started a 'cycle to work' scheme at my place, which means i can spend up to £1000 Tax/NI/VAT free on a new bike :)

Looking at a Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 2007 for £950 (which will actually only cost me £45/month for 12 months):

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkMode ... Rockhopper

I've trawled through the offering from my prefered manufactures and ruled out bikes from the following:

Orange :cry:
Trek
Cannondale
Giant
GT

A Scott Scale at £850 looked tempting, as did a Gary Fisher Big Sur...

Decisions, decisions. Any thoughts?

The Scott's are good value - a mate of mine just bought a Scale 20 on the same scheme.

You can get bikes for more than £1,000 but you only get 40% off the first £1,000. The schemes often say that you can't but if you have a word with the shop they'll generally be willing.

Kestonian":3dphrq63 said:
The Scott's are good value - a mate of mine just bought a Scale 20 on the same scheme.

You can get bikes for more than £1,000 but you only get 40% off the first £1,000. The schemes often say that you can't but if you have a word with the shop they'll generally be willing.

yeah, my company are happy for you to buy whatever you want, but only the first £1000 is covered. Don't really need a new bike, but offer is too good to overlook. I really like the idea of a brand new bike, only ever owned one before (an Orange Gringo), but can't justify spending more than the grand :(

I'm really gutted that all Oranges are rubbish these days too.

Do you have to buy it from a set place?

Kona Kula Deluxe 2006 £999 at activesports - google product search for it, although the website looked a bit "homemade"

They also had one at £1045 but I don't know what the difference is.

Tallpaul":2wjzypze said:
Stick Legs":2wjzypze said:
Kona Kula deluxe. IMHO ;)

nice frame, unfortunately i don't have a spare £200 to add :(

If you can wait a wee while then the deals will come thick and fast come the new product launches in the late summer. Have a look at Evans.

The Ken":z5apfgpy said:
Do you have to buy it from a set place?

Kona Kula Deluxe 2006 £999 at activesports - google product search for it, although the website looked a bit "homemade"

They also had one at £1045 but I don't know what the difference is.

Yeah, gotta order through Halfords. Not restricted to just the usual halfords range though, they have a specific department for Cycle To Work and can source any bike, but you have to pay full UK RRP.

Very happy with my Genesis altitude...bang on £1k

main.php

Has anyone else set up the cycle to work scheme as an employer? We're a small business and thinking of doing it. Much involved?

Back