Apache's are just cool aren't they?

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I sit under the flightpath of one of the RAF bases in London and of all the choppers that fly past, every time I see the Apaches I just can't help but be impressed by how cool they look.

Maybe it's just growing up in the 'Blue Thunder' era - (no - I know Blue Thunder wasn't an Apache but you know what I mean).

I'm sure they aren't at all cool if you've ever been shot at by one, or have been in a conflict zone and seen what they can do, but from the window of my shelterred little world - they rock.

:D

I thought you were talking about the red indians that went round giving cow boys close haircuts :LOL:
The helicopter is a cool 'peace' of 'killing kit' but it can all to easy be shot down. I wouldn't fly one for all the tea in China. Well not in Iraq.
I'd be in a high flying fighter jet. :cool:

I work for a helicopter company but unfortunately i've never seen an Apache in the flesh (apart from at an air-museum).
My workmates told me that there were a couple that were at our base one day (before I started working there), I think they were refuelling, apparently they were awesome in there matte grey paint.

We did just buy three of these though:
S92.jpg

Not as cool as an Apache but i'll be getting a flight in one soon. :D

Used to drive past an army/airforce base just off the A1 in north yorks on my way to work. Quite often saw the apaches on flights from there, and once decided to pull over and take a closer look. I soon got on my way again after feeling more than a little uncomfortable when the machine turned towards the road and i recalled that the cannon aims where the pilot looks. As the only car on an other wise quiet road i got the feeling he was looking at me...so i decided to leave.

You should see them in action :shock: I live on the edge of the salisbury plain, and see them quite often playing in formation.
Ive also seen them at the live fire power demo that they have at a local army base, watching them pop up from behind a hill and blowing up a empty tank with helfire missles is fun, also been on a sneeky ride over the plain and had them fly low and fast over the top of me, thats scary :shock: Saying that, so is having a whole battle group of challenger tanks coming at you :oops:

The Hind D is the attack helicopter that makes me smile...

All that was great about Soviet military equipment, powerful, practical, rugged.

Attachments

• hind-a.jpg
    hind-a.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 2,665
Given we are on a military equipment thread I have to share this with you... Mig 25 Foxbat. The cockpit view is at between 16 and 20 MILES altitude! :p

Designed to shoot down the Blackbird Spy plane. Awesome.

The best bit is the Mig 25 Foxbat C has a 2 seat configuration, and the Russian airforce offer edge of space flights for the wealthy and brave. Twice the maximum celing of a 747 in a 30 year old soviet fighter.
Maybe not... :LOL:

Attachments

• mig25.jpg
    mig25.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,662
  • mig-25a.jpg
    mig-25a.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 2,662
  • f_pilotag14.jpg
    f_pilotag14.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 2,662
Same - but different

Err. aren't we all on 20 year old metal gunning downhill, surrounded by unforgiving trees and rocks...?!

:shock:

Neil

Re: Same - but different

mrkawasaki":3nbfsl4k said:
Err. aren't we all on 20 year old metal gunning downhill, surrounded by unforgiving trees and rocks...?!

:shock:

Neil

A bit less far to fall! ;)

Back