eBay offer scam?

d8mok

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I’m quite good with eBay but I’m perplexed at this one.

Received a email saying I have a offer on a item. The email is worded differently to the normal ones but has all the relevant info and looks legit at first glance.

If I go to the App or website I don’t have a offer. So it’s obviously a scam of some sort. I’m guessing if I click any links in the email I will be in a world of pain.

The thing I can’t understand is how has that item on eBay been linked to my email address? My email isn’t displayed on eBay to connect me to this item.

Usually eBay offers use my first name , but this one uses my username. Plus the offer is for the full amount. But all the other info is correct. Plus the emails usually come from eBay but this one has come directly from the buyers email address.

There have been quite a few reports of this, could be genuine as they seem to be having trouble with the site again.

One way to check for sure is check your messages, they are sent as duplicates.

There’s no message on eBay , or any offer in the item. Plus the buyer doesn’t exist on eBay either. Oh and who would offer the full amount rather than just clicking Buy it now lol. I’m 100% sure it’s a scam but the bit I can’t work out is how they’ve connected my eBay to my email address

If no message then yes, it will probably be a phishing mail.

There are a few ways to get your email

d8mok":182q00w9 said:
There’s no message on eBay , or any offer in the item. Plus the buyer doesn’t exist on eBay either. Oh and who would offer the full amount rather than just clicking Buy it now lol. I’m 100% sure it’s a scam but the bit I can’t work out is how they’ve connected my eBay to my email address
You're most likely right Dom.
But sometimes offers for the full amount are sent so when it's accepted it gives the buyer some time to pay for the item, say if they waited to have the funds readily available before hitting buy it now, it could of sold. I know this because I've done it with more expensive items-however I've always contacted the seller first though and explained what I planned on doing.

mk one":3k2b1tu9 said:
If no message then yes, it will probably be a phishing mail.

There are a few ways to get your email

Yes I agree it’s phishing.

How would you get my email from eBay? As this is exactly what eBay hates. So if I pick a random eBay seller you can get me their email?

I’m proper intrigued now

Re:

d8mok":30ysvfe9 said:
One thing you might want to consider is that ebay link in your signature on here. Clicking on it reveals your ebay username and you will have probably given out the email address you use for PayPal on here too, although probably in a PM. Obviously, there are other ways that someone could have got both pieces of information but don't forget what's right under your nose.

Dear me! This is a depressing post. :(

Re:

I’d hate to think it came via this forum and to be honest I doubt it very much. My username is same on both platforms anyway so nothing to be gained by deleting it.

Obviously someone I’ve sold a item/bought a item on eBay would also have my email address from PayPal too but can’t see someone playing the long game by doing that.

It’s not a scam which will get them either the item (collection only ) or cash. It’s purely either my eBay log in or some other personal info they want. And that’s no different to loads of fake emails. This one just seems different with the amount of detail gone into it and also the fact they’ve connected my eBay to email.

The amount of data breaches lately is scary. Google popped up a message other day saying a password I was about to set has been flagged as potentially stolen or breached. I was amazed, looked into it and it seems like this originates from hacked email. Add to this that this site isn't secure. Potential mine field for scammers!

Back