Engineers Assemble!

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I could have saved some of you some time if I'd shown you a bit more - the wheel is a direct drive on a 2" wide grinding belt.. The motor itself is a flange mount 2hp job, and the wheel isn't far enough onto the shaft. Any secondary motor plates would add to the problem.

Hamster may have come up the the easiest solution by far;

hamster":7cs700p8 said:
One final thought: is it possible to rotate the motor mounting angle to change the orientation of the bolts so that one (or better still two) is inside the loop of the belt and therefore not likely to touch the side of the belt?

I'll need to check the other bolts don't then become a problem, but this may be the simplest solution...

royboy2cv":7cs700p8 said:
Only asked because iam here , found a 25mm counter sink and have a small milling machine at home any help ?

Bournemouth... *giggles*. no, not in Bournemouth, but not very far up the coast. Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure there's a simpler answer.

Re: Re:

royboy2cv":22vnmrcb said:
Only asked because iam here , found a 25mm counter sink and have a small milling machine at home any help ?
Please don’t be offended. LGF will elucidate. He’s been working hard on this.

The B word...almost forgot :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So, with all your amazing help and ideas that I'm immensely grateful for, I totally ignored it all and went my own way. Classy.

Total cost was about £3 and 7 minutes of my time.

This is what I was dealing with, the main aim was to get the wheel 10mm further onto the motor shaft.

Take an M12 countersunk bolt and grind off the very edge.

Abuse a £3 19mm countersink bit, going slow and cool.

Bingo.

I'd class it as 'hack' not 'bodge' and I currently celebrating my smugness with Rum.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg