Tool Manufacturer Recommendations Needed.

Janners Mugs

Old School Hero
#### QUALITY TOOLS #### Working on older bikes means parts are already a bit worn (or knackered) and removal with worn out /poor quality tools makes life even harder. Park tools have quite a name (is this good marketing or deserved?). What else is good quality? Note I would rather buy quality as opposed to cheap and throw away every year. Your suggestions and experiences needed.
Planning on the replace as I need them as opposed to £6000-£7000 full set in one go....

Regards
Janners

My Park crank extractor is 22 years old and still going - ccp22c

My Park chain tool was only replaced last year at 21 - ct-5

My Pedro's Shimano BB tool is 22 years old.

None of these should cost you more than about £17 each

Allen keys have been and gone but some Draper are in their 4th decade and some Bondhus Gorilla have lasted a couple of decades.

My Halfords Professional socket set is 22 years old now (rumoured to be made by a big brand)

Was very lucky to be given a Wera socket set, that is mechanical jewelry

Bahco adjustables take the place of multiples of headset spanners but thats also me being lazy

Britool for some of the finer screwdriver/ hex work.

Pedal spanners never seem to last though, I'd like a recommendation here too please!

I'm intrigued by people bidding more on eBay for used Park Tools then some of them can be bought new. How odd.

Janners

Absolutely agree with you LGF.
Bahco adjustables are so much better than the alternatives. I have one of the slim ones which is rather useful for all kinds of things including headsets.
A 20cm long T-handle ball-ended 5mm Allen key has lasted 25 years and seems to do much of the assembly work.
Add a decent set of cable cutters (Felco)

Re:

As above, worth buying a good tool that lasts. Park are great, have a fair bit of their stuff and still going strong 10 plus years at a guess. Their cable cutters are very good.

I've gone through a few sets of Allen and torx tools, will be buying wera ones next as have a few of their tools and they are really good.

Like lgf, I've got a Halfords professional socket/ratchet set that's as good as new a decade on.

I'm in the market for a decent tool chest/drawer as I'm fed up with rummaging through a tool box for 10 min before I can start spannering.

Cyclus tools are pretty good I think, I have a headset press that weighs a ton but is very solid (and can be used fir press fit bbs as well.

Never had a good crown race remover. Not so much an issue with split rings these days, but I like to remove Chris King races without damage. Recommendations?

Would love recommendations on a good budget one.

You'll need to go to ebay to find a pair, but genuine Mole Grips, certainly has a very good reputation. 'Mole' being the company name.

Mole grips are the cycle mechanics best friend :D. It is the only tool I have found with the grip to catch the tiny proud edge of a rusted in Hope countersunk rotor bolt. Once you file a couple of opposing flats on, just a slight grip and locked its a breeze to undo :cool:

legrandefromage":1jmg6syb said:
Pedal spanners never seem to last though, I'd like a recommendation here too please!

If we are talking thin plate 15mm open end, they never last. Even Campag. The issue is that our hobby brings home some right old badly treated knackered shit. The damage to these types of spanners on these stuck pedals is almost instant.

I'm using a ground down decent normal spanner with the other end cut off and inserted in an old pair of steel flat bars.

Attachments

• DSC_0176_rs.jpg
    DSC_0176_rs.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 923
Re: Re:

ishaw":2o7i5wdo said:
Never had a good crown race remover. Not so much an issue with split rings these days, but I like to remove Chris King races without damage. Recommendations?

Would love recommendations on a good budget one.

I work on watches and I've found a snap back case opener perfect for the job -

https://www.cousinsuk.com/search?SearchTerm=C20800

c20800_pic1_cmyk1.jpg

Janners Mugs":1157dc8t said:
I'm intrigued by people bidding more on eBay for used Park Tools then some of them can be bought new. How odd.

Janners
Park have been on a long slow slide of quality for about 15 or so years. Most of their current tools are, to be frank, shit.

Something that you might use a handful times a year, Park will be OK, anything that you're expecting to use day in day out. Look for something else.

Wera, Bondhus, PB Swiss. Proper tool brands. All far better than Park, and you can usually get them for a similar price

legrandefromage":2cdkv1b2 said:

I have had this pedal spanner for years, it is still going strong despite much abuse. Can just make out the hammer marks in the top edge.

Agree with above, modern Park tools arent anything special imho.. All my good pliers are Knipex, spanners are King Dick and Draper, really rate my Fat Spanner bike tools, the workshop versions. Want to try some Wera allen keys but my cheap Draper expert ones are just not wearing out. A lot of my good tools that do the job well are all old, you tend to replace the crap through time and end up with some quality tools, regardless of name.

Attachments

• P1012207.JPG
    P1012207.JPG
    614.2 KB · Views: 863
Back