So we are all retrogrouches?

I like new and old. Its all horses for courses, at 48 i couldn't dream of doing a big day out on my fully rigid retro bikes but are more than happy to do it on my modern stuff. I don't bin or sell anything, so in 10 or 20 years i would hope that my 2016 Kona Hei Hei will still be doing its duties as it is now but also alongside something else modern.

All bikes were once new, so all bikes will be retro one day. Isn't it time that we put our Oscar the grouch heads back in our rubbish bins and started moving our 1997 cut off date forward each year. There are some great bikes that we could welcome into retro that way, who knows in a couple of decades some of us may be saying "look at my beautifully" restored Gen2 Fat Chances or Yeti SB's".

Newest bike ever owned is 2002.
Don't like many new bikes, don't really look at many new bikes.
I like my Sister's blokes Carbon Specialized mountain bike.
Can't remember the name of it but it's modern and full suspension.

Re:

Everywhere close to me is easily 'doable' on my 2007 hard tail. I use my '97 bike most of the time (though it has forks that actually work), because otherwise it's just plain boring to ride. Even GCN admitted this in a recent feature (on the purpose of gravel bikes ;) ), that modern bikes make things too easy.

The 11 speed comment is amusing, according to many sources, the wear limit is 0.5% on an 11 speed chain 'or you'll get shifting problems' I can't see how that's possibly better than an 8 speed chain that'll go to 0.75% or even 1.00% in some cases before replacement.
I just bought an 8 speed cassette, brand new for £12.99 from Wiggle, the cheapest 11 speed cassette they are selling is £50. So I'll keep my 8 speed bike and merrily plug through the mud and sh*te (I have Rapidfire so no indexing problems for me) safe in the knowledge it'll cost me peanuts to change my drivetrain as it wears out.

So, yes, I am a retro grouch :D

SP

Probably, though the thought of an e-bike to get around on when im 80 is appealing.

mk one......e-mtb's can be so much fun. They have their place and can make days that you don't really want to go out into big smile days.

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":2pmks63s said:
….that modern bikes make things too easy.....
There's an old saying - cycling never gets easier, you just go faster/further

I've just read an MBUK from 1998, everything seemed a lot more colourful!

The fun seems to have been squeezed out of cycling with it all seemingly ultra competitive.

Cheese to it.

<grabs megaphone>

There will never be a chainset with empty granny ring bolt holes on my bikes!

A 9 speed Dura-ace cassette will remain on my MTB with a proper sized chainring!

You are right about the lack of colour now, it is so so bland. I don't want neon to come back as it did look like we were the kids from fame BITD but some colour please.

Back