Strange realisations.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I don't really have any *really* high value bikes... I love them, but in a fair market, I suspect none of them top close to £1k. most of them much less...

But, collectively, they're worth many times more than my car :shock:

Weird.

Discuss.

Re:

I have a couple of Roberts, one road and one mtb that are worth a fair bit but less than £1k.

Another dozen each worth a few hundred. The cheaper ones are more sentimental to me, I guess I feel comfortable riding something less precious.

Value has many meanings!

Re:

I don’t own a car ....but have several top pushbikes/motorbikes. Doesn’t mean much apart from I like bikes lol

Done the car thing years ago. Lost interest now unless it’s something proper and I’m poor in that world

Re:

Monetry-wise I have no attachment to any of my bikes. Some, however are priceless in the memories department.

I have a modern car which is essential for my commute to work (30 miles, rural roads, patchy phone signal and no public-transport option) but if I worked locally i'd cycle to work.

Same, my bikes on their own are worth no more than £500-1500 each, but if sold as a lot would be more than my car and motorbikes combined. Though if you added tax, insurance and running costs over the years i suppose they would be quite a bit different. Plus my car has been sat on the drive for the last 3+ years so not really worth nothing now, really should get rid :roll:

mk one":lht87l73 said:
Same, my bikes on their own are worth no more than £500-1500 each, but if sold as a lot would be more than my car and motorbikes combined. Though if you added tax, insurance and running costs over the years i suppose they would be quite a bit different. Plus my car has been sat on the drive for the last 3+ years so not really worth nothing now, really should get rid :roll:

What car have you got ? :D

Re:

I have just got a warranty replacement frame that has a rrp of £2100. That’s more than I paid for the whole bike 4 years ago in a sale. :D

Both our cars cost more though. :|

My_Teenage_Self":13e4wkpy said:
I don't really have any *really* high value bikes... I love them, but in a fair market, I suspect none of them top close to £1k. most of them much less...

But, collectively, they're worth many times more than my car :shock:

Weird.

Discuss.

Last time I tried to buy a carbon Lotus the seller wanted £2k... and I'm pretty sure yours is in better condition....

Re: Re:

Corblimeyguv":1xknpz8t said:
Monetry-wise I have no attachment to any of my bikes. Some, however are priceless in the memories department.

Same for me, but thinking about numbers there’s three for me:

Cost - what is WAS worth to me, and now irrelevant
Sale Value - what it’s now worth to somebody else
Keep Value - what it’s now worth to me

The last one uses different units to the first two, so comparisons are not easy, but my bikes (in total) cost considerably more than cars I’ve owned.

And the bike that has the highest Keep Value, also had the lowest Cost (free, if you ignore parts needed) - my dad’s 1962 Freddie Grubb Tourmalet that I revived, and was responsible for me finding Retrobike in the first place.

Back