Tinkerers' Corner - Shimano RD Cage Swap - LIVE FEED!

Thanks to this thread, I can report that the cage from a Shimano 5800 105 11s mech that I couldnt sell fits perfectly onto an XT 770 which I didnt have a full cage for!

Aha!

Attachments

• xt 105.jpg
    xt 105.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 467
Good man. Nice and easy with the small allen key bolt. I've done XT M737, STX and ancient RSX, 105 RD-5501 swaps fine.

But, are you saying it doesn't work well :? I'm surprised.

I mean the cage is fairly dumb with just two wheels spinning around in it.....

Likewise what you mentioned earlier, I'm not going over 10 speed road and 9 speed MTB. The cross
compatibility of equipment is much more important to me than the latest stuff.

What this thread also demonstrates is that the actual differences between road and MTB is not
as much as Shimano and the marketing men would like you to believe. Most is cosmetic only.

I guess the XT cage - or part of - is the silver one? It does look weird; I can't figure out how the top
jockey wheel fits in. Is this some Rapid Rise thing / nonsense?

More photo's would be appreciated so I can suggest where exactly to put the angle grinder :LOL:

Woz":1p7wq61j said:
I guess the XT cage - or part of - is the silver one? It does look weird; I can't figure out how the top
jockey wheel fits in. Is this some Rapid Rise thing / nonsense?

More photo's would be appreciated so I can suggest where exactly to put the angle grinder :LOL:

Didnt need the angle grinder. my wire cutters went through the cage like it was made of soft aluminiummumum...

Back