Old Maps

I used to. Still got some I think. My favourites were my Ordnance Survey WWI trench maps. & WW2 British maps of Germany, printed on recycled paper, in this case, the reverse side of 'liberated' German copies of 1" UK Ordnance Survey maps with German legends!

Re:

Old War department maps have always fasinated me . There was a post War2 one showing most of the Airfields,many of which had became disused .

Used to, may start again. Inherited several surveyors map of Canada from the back ends of knowhere, consequently mainly white with only a few lines and symbols :LOL:

Have an interesting map from Bartholemew's which shows Europe in 1943. Seems a bit unpatriotic to show Europe under the Reich's domain in the middle of the war. It was just a civilian map not a military one :shock:

Cant help feeling that if I had been born in another time and had served in the forces of WW2 I would probably found my niche in the RAF staring at reconaisance photo's trying to note whats different. Maps and ariel /satelite photos facinate me.

Aye - my dads ex RAF & he has a huge USAF map of cold war Europe on his garage wall showing what zones are flyable by the allies.

My grandfather was a cartographer. My aunt’s loft..........

My grandpa was an artist/illustrator.

I am fascinated by maps and diagrams, plans and ink/pencil drawings.

Can’t think why. :D

Re:

To me old maps show social history, I bought three reprints of the original Ordnance Survey maps from the 19th century based around Hertford, Newbury and Stroud (areas I know well), the most striking thing is how the towns have grown greatly in size and whilst many of the "main" roads remain all have had to acomodate the motor vehicle with dual carriageways and by passes.
In a more modern vein I have 1966 road atlas, again dual carriageways are rare and motorways rarer still, I can only find the M1 and a very short M4.
Yep, I like maps, what better way to spend a winters evening planning a next ride.

Re:

Does this count? It used to be hanging on the booking office wall in Karesborough station. I had an LMS one too but that was in poor condition and ‘somebody’ threw it out.

Attachments

• 4FD1D4F8-AC5C-4B1F-A5A7-FC1CE68B417B.jpeg
    4FD1D4F8-AC5C-4B1F-A5A7-FC1CE68B417B.jpeg
    45.5 KB · Views: 451
Oh I’d love a copy of that LNER map.....

Back