Any riding advice (or any other) for a slipped/bulged disc?

Henne

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I am talking about the disc in your back and not the brake variety!

I have been diagnosed with a bulge in my S1/L5 disc region also commonly known as a slipped disc, which has occurred through wear and tear and the fact I have a desk job. I am only 44.

I have been advised to take up pilates etc to strengthen my core and to do core and back strengthening exercises.

I just wondered if any folk have experienced the same problem and what tips or advice they may have to pass on.

I don't ride that often these days but would like to get back in the saddle for gentle rides as I have to keep exercise light. Running/jogging at the moment is not advisable from my consultant, not that I am a runner anyway. Walking is okay and I manage to walk as part of my work commute and walking the dog. At work I have an adjustable work station so I can alter the height of my desk to stand or sit.

On the bike front, have a couple of road bikes but mainly hard tail mountain bikes of retro late 80s and early 90s bikes with rigid forks. I can do a gentle ride with the bike with a more up right stem and a sprung saddle but I have not tried my bikes with a lower angled stem just yet. I have one with front suspension forks too which I need to give a go.

Just a thought, will swapping my hard tail for a rear suspension framed bike be worthwhile? Has anyone with a similar back complaint had some success in doing this to continue riding their bikes?

One more thing, I am contemplating getting a turbo trainer as part of my exercise regime. Is this a good or bad idea for my condition?

Cheers

I feel your pain, I have the same issue between 3&4 from crashing a glider/playing rugby/crashing motorbikes/boxing etc all of which came home to roost in my mid 40’s. :facepalm:
All my bikes are hardtail, only having one with front sus and I haven’t ridden that yet.

For me it’s been all about sitting more upright so I have my bars set high (not for Botm photos though) and a more forgiving saddle. I go fast down hill slightly out of the saddle as my legs do a great job taking out the bangs.
The only time I’ve put my back into full spasm whilst on a bike (bulged disc encroaching on the nerves forcing the local muscles into a protective spasm) was when my pride got the better of me and I stood up on the pedals to ride up a steep hill.
Now I just get off…it’s a lot more embarrassing being carried home.
One silver lining though…Tramadol & whisky make Strictly come dancing pass in front of your eyes in a bizarrely soothing way… :D

Re:

Great advice from PeachyPM.
I have bulging L45's which rear their head from time to time. Pilates has been my saviour but go to a class, you'll never do it properly at home.
A more upright riding position can help and it's always easier on my full suss than rigids. The more forward position of retro bikes can occasionally cause issues but it's really your core that will protect your back and I find as long as I do pilates regularly I can cope with most things (except long sloggy fireroad uphills, but you learn to adapt your riding style)

Pretty much what has been said above.

I dont have disc issues but recently broke my back, pelvis and hip in a crash so have had to overcome similar hurdles.

The advice you already have and given above about core exercise, its what holds your body upright, not your back, but make sure you balance it out by exercising your back too. On the bike its more about what and where you ride. I ride fully rigid bikes and stand when i need to, no need for full suss on any trails really. The best advice same as above also is fit/position. Being upright makes the world of difference, means i can relax and concentrate on just teqhnique.

Also mental attitude is really important, if your thinking the worst then its just making you tense and causing other issues.

One thing that gave me confidence and helped at the begining was going on the exercise bike at the hospital, got my body and mind back into the movement and helped my mind too, cant spell psycologicaly :LOL:

And carry some ibuprofen or other anti inflamatries to help with any pain or soreness.

Good luck with your cycling

Maybe doing too much :? Running/jogging youre putting all the weight on the back all the time.
Maybe look to use a core exercise machine(the spring assist thing you see in telemarketing, apparently theyre very good for that localized area. to increase the supportive muscles of that area. Im sure jogging doesnt build them enough :?

i ride my tadpole laying down as i cant do uprights anymore,too damn painful.shame really as i love my bikes but it hurts too much after 5 minutes.

I too am a reluctant member of this club! Lots of pain. I will make the following points. I'm afraid I have not got far down the recovery path so no proper tips.

1. Mercedes are bad, mmmkay. I reckon the stupid 220 was the start of my problems. I'm looking forwards to getting it changed. The seating and suspension have wrecked my spine.

2. My NHS physio dude said that riding a bike with an upright position was bad. This puts us retro, arse up, head down long stem folks at an advantage.

3. Core strengthening exercises are dull. I still don't really know what to do.

Iwasgoodonce":35841p2m said:
I too am a reluctant member of this club! Lots of pain. I will make the following points. I'm afraid I have not got far down the recovery path so no proper tips.

1. Mercedes are bad, mmmkay. I reckon the stupid 220 was the start of my problems. I'm looking forwards to getting it changed. The seating and suspension have wrecked my spine.

2. My NHS physio dude said that riding a bike with an upright position was bad. This puts us retro, arse up, head down long stem folks at an advantage.

3. Core strengthening exercises are dull. I still don't really know what to do.

A few things I have done,
1. Since getting a VW T5, my back has been way better than my previous Subaru. The captain's chairs with the armrests are excellent
2. My experience is that a more upright position is BETTER than when I ride my retro's
3. Core exercises are better if you go to a Pilates session as you never do it as long or properly at home

Re:

I’m now 40 years old and this is something I’m familiar with, was quite debilitating a few years back for me. Pleased to say I know how to manage it now. Looking at what caused it and what’s changed for me, appreciate not necessarily going to help you.

1). Sitting/driving too long - my commute was 43miles/ over an hour each way daily, has dropped to 12 miles around 25 mins each way now.

2). Car seats - I moved from a brand new Mazda 6 with standard seats to a 10 year old Audi A8 with amazing seats. Heated seats have made a huge difference, especially when I get a twinge of back pain.

3). Weight loss - I’m 6’ 2” and when my back was at its worst weighed nearly 20 stone, I’m still not ideal weight but consistent 17 stone for the last 3 or 4 years has helped.

4). Weight lifting belt/abdominal support belt - as soon as I go outside in the garage or garden the belt goes on as I’m likely to do something that could strain my back. Each of my really bad episodes have been triggered by sudden movement or over reaching. This has helped me carry on with normal activities no end.

5). Getting on and keeping moving when it does hurt - when your disc has just slipped this is really difficult to start off with but I learned after 2 or 3 really bad incidents that getting on and keeping moving albeit slowly was the best course of action.

I of course had advice from the doctors/physio who basically said don’t do anything that aggravates it. Doctor told me not to cycle! I paid privately for an osteopath for about 10 sessions - he was great for when I could only hobble a few steps from my car to his door but ongoing not something I need. I found in the end I needed to cycle to lose weight and it’s pretty low impact compared to running in terms of back pain - even when my back was really bad if I could swing my leg over the cross bar I could get pedalling without making it worse. Physio did say something about the hamstring getting tight would make it worse so I concentrated on hamstring stretching exercises.

Think I’ve rambled enough now, best of luck with your recovery!

Edit* I ride pretty much only road bikes now and have changed nearly all of my bikes to nice wide Brooks B67 saddles, I’m of large build and find them much more forgiving than a Flite or similar which is what I had on previously.

Re:

With regards to the bike, just find what doesn't bother you, with me I found I could do steady rides no problem, but avoided rough off road riding for a while. I swear I actually felt a bit better when getting off the bike.
Stretching/strengthening exercises made the most improvement with me, it was a slow and gradual improvement with the odd setback, but you come to find out what works best for you, do try different things.
Everyone e is different to done degree.

Back