Audi A2 -Do you drive a retro car?

Re:

If I ever pull my finger out it'll be nice to get behind the wheel of my Mg maestro turbo again this year. Also ran a Rover 400 tourer (R:cool: & my beater last year, not a bad old bus.
I believe it turned out Audi sold all A2's at a loss.

A2 - my current bike carrier :cool:

Untitled by Bollox2u, on Flickr

The fact that it has no spare tyre means that in the "lower luggage area" I can use a Saris pickup bed rack to secure the forks, due to the good height it gives.

Had some faults on the car in the year I've had it (broken springs, had to refurbish the F/R brakes, buggered indicator relay) but it's done 170 000 Kms, and apart from the repairs, costs bugger all to tax, insure or run, using 5L per 100km

I have a 54 reg. Jaguar S Type 2.7 diesel. You can fold down the back seats and fit 2 MTBs if you remove the front wheels. No depreciation means it's cheap motoring yet drives like a dream.

Re:

They look like a great bike carrier...

Attachments

• audi-a2-1.4-02.jpg
    audi-a2-1.4-02.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 767
1997 Toyota Starlet, cost £300 in 2017 and I've had more than 15k of pretty trouble free miles.

Been camping with the bikes on a rack;

Also just done a 300 mile round trip over xmas to wales. Amazing reliability for what is basically your nans shopping car.

Attachments

• Bike Rack.jpg
    Bike Rack.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 759
:D I just drive the cheapest car on the scheme that I can get two bikes in and tow a caravan with.

All I have to do is put fuel in it and drive it through the free car wash once a fortnight.
Even get most of the fuel money back on my tax rebate.......

How about a first generation Mercedes A Class as an alternative to the A2 ? I had a diesel one new a number of years ago, very economical and good bike carrying ability - not sure if it fits ULEZ criteria. My Brother lives in Islington but hasn't owned a car for years - too much hassle so he cycles locally.

My bike hauler is a 1986 Volvo 740GLa.

Oddly my current daily, an Impreza WRX is ULEZ compliant as it's a petrol Euro4, my Truck and the wifes van which are both 2 years newer are not because the are diesel. Diesels need to be Euro6 compliant, this will be for Nitrogen Dioxides of which the petrol is much lower. The Diesel needs an adblue Euro6 engine to drop to this level.
The only A2's that will be compliant will be the petrols as they were Euro4 compliant, the diesels are also Euro4 but this is too low.

Carl.

My son has bought a Ford Ka 1.3 for £400. His first car. He can fit his Trek Fuel EX8 in the back. Nice.

Re:

Just sold an A2 - we had it 10 years! Very pleased with it.

Check the emissions for London though - when I checked our vehicle it was likely NOT exempt.

The bonnet does need to come off - no tools needed. Routine servicing on the TDI was easy - aside from the timing belt which is a total pain in the ar*e.

Spares weren’t as pricey as I thought, I always bought genuine parts too.

SP

Back