New and Ego searches not working????????????

Re: Re:

PeachyPM":3koxbnxy said:
al-onestare":3koxbnxy said:
It is. But running it into the ground in the hope that someone will come in and rescue the site, whilst the few folks left rattle around in the echo chamber doesn't help anyone.

OK, so apart from singing to the choir, does anyone have any possitive ideas about what can be done?

There was a concerted effort earlier this year to take it on - which never never got past first base, as for your question above without true admin rights nor the authority to speak with the website hosting company you don’t hold any cards or have any options

PeachyPM":7kt64i1g said:
al-onestare":7kt64i1g said:
It is. But running it into the ground in the hope that someone will come in and rescue the site, whilst the few folks left rattle around in the echo chamber doesn't help anyone.

OK, so apart from singing to the choir, does anyone have any possitive ideas about what can be done?

Spud sums it up. We tried, it didn't work out and some of what we heard hasn't happened either.

That won't change unless someone stumps up a significant wad of cash or there's a change of heart up top.

If there's any info on this site you rely on it'd be wise to have a plan b.

al-onestare":2t1cuyls said:
PeachyPM":2t1cuyls said:

Spud sums it up. We tried, it didn't work out and some of what we heard hasn't happened either.

That won't change unless someone stumps up a significant wad of cash or there's a change of heart up top.

That's a depressing note to go into the festive season.... :(
Sod this, I’m off to the workshop to shift a B**tard of a headset that hasn’t moved since 1977…….. :xmas-wink:

al-onestare":8j15qnmr said:
.....won't change unless someone stumps up a significant wad of cash or there's a change of heart up top.

Peachy
Maybe you need to ask for a Christmas miracle or chance your arm and go into Debenhams toy dept queue up with the kids and ask the big man in Red for help.

That’s pretty much two of your best (and only) options

As others have noted over the past 18 months - two years the footfall is getting less and less as the weeks roll by, therefore the pull for potential advertisors deminishes likewise and revenue plummets,

As Al alludes to above, if it’s not sorted its a self perpetuating downward spire resulting in the site running out of money to pay for hosting.

since we pay nothing for the maintenance and support for his site - we are “merely creators and consumers of its content” .... you (sadly) have no rights nor grounds to complain on.

Had it not been for Johns vision to create the site in the first place we’d have nothing anyway, before that legacy is lost and the lights go out I’d like to see it opened up to the membership with a carefully chosen few joining a committee with John and no one able to hold a position for life like afforded to Drystone Paul who visits less often than Haileys comet and blocks/ makes it conveluted process for others like Longun to pull meets together.

In the meantime make the most of what we have, create and share as much “meaningful content” as you can and support Longun with his rides and meets - and of course big up to Raidan for BOTM which he’s singlehandedly kept going and now clogged the chat page with a zillion sticky’s from months since past (that only others can remove)

Spud

Re:

As a relatively new member I’m saddened to see what’s happening, I for 1 would happily pay a subscription if it kept the lights on, it would be really sad to see rb disappear as there is a huge amount of info and knowledge here. Although this place has cost me a fortune since I found it 18 moths ago :)

No-one likes ads taking up screen real estate. Most users block them anyway. They don't provide the revenue they once (or ever) did for niche sites like this.

Has the owner considered a subscription model where subscribers get enhanced features or access? Even simple things like avatars & signatures for subscribers only plus access to one or two juicy areas. Most want something for nothing but if the site's maintained well there's usually enough members willing to stump up a small annual subscription of £5 to cover the bills.
I've not used a licence-free product like phpBB for years but the main licenced forum platforms like Xenforo & Invision have subscription functionality that can be linked to Paypal etc

Also keep the Facebook presence up to date with shared content from the site to bring folk in. Anyone can set up a Facebook group for show & tell but a valid, thriving reference site like this will still be used for reference - it's getting a percentage of those Facebookers to stick around with an attractive modern platform that's easy to use.

rwm1962":3ccqm599 said:
No-one likes ads taking up screen real estate. Most users block them anyway. They don't provide the revenue they once (or ever) did for niche sites like this.

Has the owner considered a subscription model where subscribers get enhanced features or access? Even simple things like avatars & signatures for subscribers only plus access to one or two juicy areas. Most want something for nothing but if the site's maintained well there's usually enough members willing to stump up a small annual subscription of £5 to cover the bills.
I've not used a licence-free product like phpBB for years but the main licenced forum platforms like Xenforo & Invision have subscription functionality that can be linked to Paypal etc

Also keep the Facebook presence up to date with shared content from the site to bring folk in. Anyone can set up a Facebook group for show & tell but a valid, thriving reference site like this will still be used for reference - it's getting a percentage of those Facebookers to stick around with an attractive modern platform that's easy to use.

All good points, I'd put my hand in my pocket....

Re:

I pay £1.50 pm for stw (mainly to get rid of ads) but for me anything around £3-4 pm I’d happily pay, that’s less than 1 Costa pm I think that’s pretty good value for all the knowledge and info on here.

Perhaps it’s time for a poll?

Back on track thought new posts is still not working for me.

Back