I wouldn't buy a electric car from

:D THe last couple of paragraphs, you'll kill your battery (basic chemistry) and you'll need as much power as a small town to run a typical charging station.......

er, co2 is kind of what has buggered up the planet since the industrial revolution. Along with cow farts etc etc.

What mad me laugh was the latest surveys had Tesla 32 out 32 manufacturers for general crappyness along with Jaguar Land Rover in 31st place.

The Nissan Leaf came highest - how dull is the world that a heavy limited range car makes its customers so happy.

Last weekend I did a 265 mile round trip.

What electristicalist car would have achieved that given the strong headwinds on the way up and good tail winds on the way down?

My work van is a 2018 1.6 TCDI Ford Courier, limited to 62mph. It showed a range of 211 miles left in the tank. With the headwind it made it to my destination leaving me about 115 miles. On the way back we stopped off for a coffee and spent about an hour there. When we got home the display said there was still about 34 miles left, total journey was 265 miles mostly via the M6 and a few A roads.

What electric car, given battery lease costs, PCP cost, vehicle lease cost etc etc would have been suitable?

My company allows personal use including a fuel card so 'costs' me about £750 a year -ish in extra income tax.

I cant think of anything off the top of my head just now other than a Tesla - which I used to quite like until you start reading up on them

oh and JLR had to write down £3 billion due to bad investments and a big drop in overseas sales - not good news for their employees or suppliers. Theres too much manufacturing capacity and I think it will go 'ping' quite soon given the reputation of some companies.

VAG and diesel gate, Audi and TSI engines

Ford and their ecoBOOOOOOM engines

So many problems with diesels and the poor economies of new petrol models whilst rushing out new ranges that simply dont work very well.

Thats if you ignore the Automotive press - which seems to see everything as all green and lovely whereas independent sites say otherwise.

Re:

The fact that most cars are the size of a bungalow these days can't be helping fuel economy.

I have a 14 year old Jaguar S Type diesel. I drove 280 miles to my son's place and did 47.3 mpg!
I've owned 2 electric road vehicles and can assure you that the problem is still battery life. A Nissan Leaf or a Tesla is unlikely to see 70,000 miles before the range falls off a cliff. Are you then going to replace the batteries in a Leaf for £6000 when the car is only worth a few grand?
Then getting rid of the batteries is not easy. They contain deadly materials, as noted above. Also you have to account for the energy and CO2 produced and used in replacing those batteries.
How would I get to my son's place if others were charging at the services? It might mean an overnight stay.
Give me 141 mph, 0-60 in 8.2 and 47.3mpg any day. Though I wouldn't buy a large diesel again. For average use I'd spend similar or less on a petrol version.

Tesla are using old batteries in their powerwalls now, as they get more popular that will absorb a lot of the cells that aren't able to deliver the power that they need for Teslas (frankly ridiculous) demands in ludicrous mode (and generally.)

Most of the other manufacturers are being slightly more sensible with maximum power demands. So batteries should last a bit better.

I am probably one of the few here that will happily admit to driving a SUV, its a 10yr old Volvo XC60 with a big old 2.4 diesel, and to make matters worse i am considering a petrol / electric plug in as my next car!

Firstly, why the big old Volvo? well my wife bought it 6 years ago as she sat on the motorway a lot for work and we had a new baby and thus puschair etc to cart about. She wanted to feel safe, and crucially for her ensure the safety of our son in case of a rear end shunt (she had had this happen before). The Volvo happily did 50mpg all day long (2wd eco version) and is still a great car for me to cart the bikes about, take the dog out in the forest etc etc. I have now taken on the Volvo and the wife now has a 3 yr old V40 diesel as her driving for the NHS has now got even more!

So why would i consider going electric? Well my commute is 6 miles to work, and yes i do cycle that quite often, but after a run of 12hr night shifts, getting on the bike is the last thing i want to do! I can happily charge the car at work, I have a large driveway to accomodate charging at home too. The only downside for me at the moment is finding a secondhand one that fits my needs, able to cart me to and from work, boot big enough for a large dog, plenty of rear seat space for the kids, and actually pretty fast as i do actually sometimes go for drive.....just because i enjoy it!

Marketing has brainwashed the public as usual with a horrible Americanism

They are certainly not 'sports', nor 'utilitarian' but they are definitely vehicles, I'll let them have that one...

Faux by four maybe, so many fake off road looking vehicles are just 2wd but marketing makes them look like they'd cross the Serengeti

Second hand Leafs seem to get a good review and they were sort after for a while because the new model wasnt all that. but again, range, weight, weight and range. Cold days shorten their range drastically.

Zoe is a battery lease as with the Fluence (which are very very cheap) but leasing may as well be paying out for fuel (£77 per month?)

An old Prius might do you better, Auris, I dunno.

Current Mini Countryman Hybrid barely scrapes 30mpg on long journeys and is a lardy 1700kg+

Its all crap!

E-bike... Thats it, grab one before they're regulated off the roads

Back