so i started a bike shop. update 23/03/24

Re:

the Orange juice starts to flow! :D

Stage Five Pro with XT upgrade on the gears, out the door today
IMG_9626 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9628 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

also, on thursday i went to the Orange bikes dealer demo at the Forest of Dean, i tested various bikes but was concentrating on the 29ers because frankly i don't ride them myself. first i test rode the stage 6 (160mm travel) on the launch pad trail after using the (paid for by orange) uplift, i found it fast but i kept over shooting corners, i'm guessing it was a little because i wasn't used to the bike and i didn't know the trail but i was quick, there was no doubt about that, then i tried the Stage 4, WOW! 29er, 130mm upfront and 120mm at the back, i can't explain, i was faster on that bike on the Launchpad trail than i was on the Stage 6! i was surprised to say the least.

after that i rode my 4, 27.5 wheels and overall i still prefer this wheel size but i am less anti 29er to be honest, i still think they both have their place. but anyway here are some pics! :D
IMG_9598 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9599 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9600 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

new XTR, although it's prototype so the hub doesn't work!
IMG_9601 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

love "stirling silver"
IMG_9602 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

how can you not like an orange Orange?
IMG_9604 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the P7 looks great
IMG_9605 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the Stage 6
IMG_9613 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re:

thought i'd do another little update. there is some bigger news coming but i'll wait with that as pictures tell a thousand words ;)

but in the mean time, the shop was still really busy till about mid november, then it has dropped off but that is to be expected, and to be honest i don't mind, it's let me concentrate on a few other things and not do more than the normal shop hours, and all the bills are paid so there's no desperate feeling of sell sell sell to cover costs, it's nice knowing that effectively i just have to tick over until spring, the pressure is off so to speak.

the guy who bought the last Stage 5 Pro recommended to a friend about his bike so this happened:-

identical to the last one but different colours etc
IMG_9806 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9807 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9808 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9809 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

there was shop trip to Bike Park Wales, wouldn't usually be my kind of thing but was a lot of fun :D
IMG_9827 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9831 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9836 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

good food at BPW
IMG_9838 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

there's always someone who likes to get their bits out!
IMG_9839 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

my buddy Ben is the rep for Kona, known him about 15 years and he's in the shop so often that customers have asked if i'm doing Kona! i won't be, several reasons but mainly there is a friends shop not too far away that does them and i wouldn't want to step on his toes so to speak, so i wouldn't ask and ben wouldn't offer. but it's always after 5 when he pops in which means the bar is open! :D and yes he's working on his own Kona!
IMG_9842 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i started building an Orange RX9 for myself, customer saw it, test rode it, then bought it. so i had to build myself another one! when a bit mad with Hope technology stuff. built it cyclocross style but may put wider gravel tyres on it, we'll see.
IMG_9845 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

IMG_9852 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9853 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9854 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9855 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9848 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

there's been quite a lot of evening rides, exposure lights doing their job!
IMG_9860 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

obvs with a pub stop! because why not?!
IMG_9867 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

there was a trip up to Cannock chase as i had to take a day off to go to Walsall to collect some shop fittings so thought i'd drag a mate around Cannock as he'd never ridden there before, there was a pub stop afterwards as well!
IMG_9881 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Glen was flying the flag, he bought an Alpine 6 frame off me, my first Orange sale :cool:
IMG_9883 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the local forest is now getting pretty wet, i'm pretty much sticking to the fat bike at the moment as there's no suspension to wear out!
IMG_9911 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Re: so i started a bike shop. update 09/12/18

Great update Jon, lots going on then :)

Must pop down again soon and maybe bring a retro in and talk about what modern (sorry guys) Orange May suit me. Have a fantastic Christmas mate and catch you in the new year.

Re:

and here's some shop pics so you can see the massive difference since the pics on page 1 of this thread! :D

the landlady had new windows fitted, it did mean i had to get my window stickers redone but the noise reduction from outside is good and there are small windows to open now which should be good come the summer. also these are the first 2 Orange bikes for stock, a Clockwork and a Clockwork Eco comp.
IMG_9868 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Sram wall
fullsizeoutput_706 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

shimano wall
IMG_9888 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

mucoff and fenwicks
IMG_9890 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

oil for days!
IMG_9895 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Exposure lights
IMG_9908 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

DMR pedals still popular after all these years
IMG_9907 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

magura in stock
IMG_9904 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i am grip obsessed
IMG_9902 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9903 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the tip of the tyre iceberg
IMG_9894 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

bearings for every occasion, and there are 3 more boxes like this one!
IMG_9906 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

Oxford locks, really good value by comparison with some other brands
IMG_9891 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

mostly comfort saddles but i now have SDG saddles as well since this picture
fullsizeoutput_707 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

brake pad obsessed
IMG_9901 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9900 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9899 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9898 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9897 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i do quite a lot of Park Tool stuff
IMG_9896 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

luggage and mudguards etc
IMG_9892 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

and then there are always the challenging jobs!!
IMG_9914 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr
IMG_9915 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

think that's all for now but some bigger news is coming, maybe a month or so. :D

Minifreak":1dxzdg3c said:
Great update Jon, lots going on then :)

Must pop down again soon and maybe bring a retro in and talk about what modern (sorry guys) Orange May suit me. Have. Fantastic Christmas mate and catch you in the new year.

as you know, the kettle is always on ;)

Re:

Nice looking shop - best of luck to you. I worked in shops here in the US in the 1980's/early 90's then did something else. After a nearly 30 year hiatus I'm now working as a shop tech again for a large sports chain. I've found it to be surprisingly enjoyable. :)

Looking excellent - some very nice, well stocked, stock!

It looks like you've established a strong core base to work from. Looking forward to hearing more about the plans ahead!

Re:

Great stuff, but what sort of culinary abomination is this; rice AND chips?! :p

45032066854_8929e6b6ba_k.jpg

Back