Recommend me a Waterproof Coat (for walking)

Re:

@ Mkone - thanks for that - LOTS of food for thought!! I might have to go and check out a few of these different type coats to find my preference. I'm leaning towards something more like a hardshell rather than a pack-lite, but that's just my initial reaction and not really justified until I go and see one in the flesh.

@ FF - Really nice Jacket that, and pretty much what I had in mind originally (although if I was being very picky I'd say I like dark greens & browns rather than electric blue!!). I'll have a think. May need to find out more about Mammuts sizing also.

Many thanks again, Joe

Re: Re:

Joe_Rides":2jm7e0mo said:
@ Mkone - thanks for that - LOTS of food for thought!! I might have to go and check out a few of these different type coats to find my preference. I'm leaning towards something more like a hardshell rather than a pack-lite, but that's just my initial reaction and not really justified until I go and see one in the flesh.

@ FF - Really nice Jacket that, and pretty much what I had in mind originally (although if I was being very picky I'd say I like dark greens & browns rather than electric blue!!). I'll have a think. May need to find out more about Mammuts sizing also.

Many thanks again, Joe

No worries Joe
yes i prefer black and browns i like stealth
I think i went with blue for added visibility for cycling dark roads..
but didn't think about it. few miles off road it would be covered in sheep shit ..
Theirs quite a lot of pro's and con's with both paclites and hardshell.
having a hood that packs away is nice..
Buffalo makes some nice Pertex smocks

Re: Re:

fiendish feet":38aso7qe said:
Joe_Rides":38aso7qe said:

Many thanks again, Joe

No worries Joe
yes i prefer black and browns i like stealth
I think i went with blue for added visibility for cycling dark roads..
but didn't think about it. few miles off road it would be covered in sheep shit ..
Theirs quite a lot of pro's and con's with both paclites and hardshell.
having a hood that packs away is nice..
Buffalo makes some nice Pertex smocks

Berghaus Paclite jackets are hardshells :) they just are super thin and lightweight, unlike a lot of other lightweight jackets though they are made from decent ripstop outer so are quite robust. Plenty enough for walking.

If you can get somewhere to try some various styles and makes then that will help no end. What brand fits me may not you.

If yoiu buy new from shops, go when its the end of season sales and you will get a better deal.

As above, Buffalo are popular for their Pertex and pile jackets, Montane are a lot better though, they make good hardshell jackets too. Another company is Mamot, they make great coats that actually work and are often cheaper second hand than most.

:LOL: a lot of companies make dark clothing now, great to blend in on the hills, not great because you blend in on the hills :LOL: the bane of the Mountain Rescue and the cause of a few deaths in the mountains. In certain alpine regions you will get asked to go down if they come across you not wearing something visable, for their saftey, not yours so much ;)

I've never thought of my Berghaus extrem paclite jacket as a hardshell
yeah your right its rip-stop single layer thats packs to size of tin of beans its ultra light , more of a pac a mac
but the Mammut this is a stiff sturdier build what i would call hardshell no roll away hood and would take up half the space in a rucksack.
Interesting topic

Basicly a hardshell is waterproof, usually with nylon type outer. Softshell is a softer outer material usualy made from polyester type material and is mostly only water resistant, some are waterproof through coatings. Softshells are a lot more breathable than hardshells as they dont need to be so airtight. Some make hybrid jackets where the areas most likely to get wet, shoulders, hood, tops of arms and the waist, from hip belt, are hardshell and the rest is softshell.

Mammut, Keela, Mountain equipment. Epic jackets, and Epic £££. I do love them though.

I have a 'cheap' sprayway in the car at all times, and it invariable gets used the most (mainly dog walking). Good value, but doesn't compare to the others.

Don't underestimate the importance of length and a decent fitting hood. There was a trend for lightweight jackets getting shorter and shorter; not great IMO, unless you're wearing waterproof trousers too.

The jacket i wear the most (unless it's pishing down) is a buffalo windshirt. Utterly, utterly epic.

As for boots, I no longer buy into heavy - lightweight boots for wet, lightweight trail shoes for damp/dry. Don't worry too much about brand, just buy ones that fit the best. You should never have to 'break in' a boot, last pair I bought went straight up Tryfan first time outdoors. They should feel perfect immediately, if they don't, keep searching. I have long narrow feet, and there are only about 3 brands that fit me, so find the brand that fit your feet

Some great points.

Though a lot of the Alpine and Mountain shorter jackets are designed to be worn with a harness. Same with higher pockets.

And as above, fit is very important in footwear, but as you have been walking for a bit you should know by now what sort of fit you need. There are some great trail shoes that are lighter and comfier than boots. A lot are waterproof too so a good option for walking. As for not having to break boots in, it depends on which boots, all of my mountain boots need breaking in :)

A note on cheaper footwear. I buy cheaper for dog walking and go through a pair a year, usually tops which is anoying when the sole is still ok. I have decent leather boots that i have had for at least 15yrs, they are still in very good condition. Quality leather boots like Scarps and Meindl are just that, quality. A lot of boots are designed to have the sole replaced easily. So once you wear the sole out you just replace it with a new one. Why? because quality leather stretches and moulds to you foot, once you have been wearing it for a while they become like a pair of slippers and fit you foot perfect, The leather doesnt wear so why buy a new stiff pair :)

And i spent many years in a tent at the campsite at the foot of Tryfan :cool: i think it was a pound when i first started camping there, i used to stay there for weeks at a time and travel home for a couple of days leaving the tent up and then return for a few more weeks :cool:

^^^^^ Agree. 'Proper' Mountain usage changes the game a bit, a lot in winter. I have an old pair of leather Raichle boots, damn heavy, stiff as hell, and still get used, but not for dog walking :)

99% of my time outdoors I spend in footwear as light as possible, and find it so much more comfortable now.

the harness thing had never occurred to me!

Re:

Joe - we’ve been 40 years hacking around UK and the Alps, so have seen a lot of kit come and go, and seen the bad and the good. I could go on and on about hardshell versus fleece and pertex versus softshell etc. But it so much depends on what you will actually be doing.

I have learned that Mammut is good but overpriced relative to lesser brands. QC can be variable, despite them being Swiss. Their own brand membrane softshell S are sweatbags; avoid. Patagonia (Patagucci) is now overpriced relative to function. Avoid.

Buying secondhand hardshells can get you some very crappy kit with leaky seams, buggered zips and screwed DWR. I would avoid. By contrast secondhand fleece and pertex with wash in waterproof like Paramo is fine - it can be filthy and well-used - just wash and re-proof...off you go. But the price there is a bit of weight and the fashion police can arrest Paramo wearers.

Hardshell - do check out new in the lesser brands on ebay - Sherpa are really very good - very climbing oriented and performance and fit is top notch. Peak performance are lesser known and do an excellent 3 ply Gore Guide Jacket. They often appear very cheap on ebay bearing in mind they are a 600gbp jacket.

Deep pile fleece and pertex: Paramo and Montane. Excellent design and performance. really really good. Lifesaving. Mountain rescue teams often use these.

It is difficult to go wrong with Rab gear. Exceptional design and function.

Back