Possibly dubious ebay buyer

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I sold a Samsung Galaxy S5 today on ebay, nice condition, went for the bargain price, I think, of £46.

Two hours later I got a message saying "Sorry to be a pain but I cannot pay till Monday Morning" Fair enough I thought, should have asked before bidding but I responded with "No problem" a few mins later I receive the message "Sorry to mess you around, something came up, but I really need the phone!"

I wondered, is this person trying to get me to send the phone now before she pays?? Yeah right I'm really going to do that :)

I shall see if I get any payment on Monday :)

Alison

Hi, yes, its part of a common scam, assuming they carry on.

Next they will say is it alright if they come a collect, i assume they have paid with paypal? then if you agree you will get a txt/call saying they are nearlly there, then someone turns up and collects, all good so far! 5mins later you get another txt/call saying they are nearly there, so then they can claim they never recieved it and get their money back and you loose your phone and money!!

The alternative is they collect then in a week or whenever they claim cashback from paypal, nothing you can do, same again you loose everything, thats why ebay tell you to only accept cash if someones collecting.

Re:

Nearly everyone I know who has sold a phone on ebay ended up with bother or loss. For the sake of a few quid just I'd just let it go to Mazuma/Envirofone or similar.

mkone":15jpfabz said:
Hi, yes, its part of a common scam, assuming they carry on.

Next they will say is it alright if they come a collect, i assume they have paid with paypal? then if you agree you will get a txt/call saying they are nearlly there, then someone turns up and collects, all good so far! 5mins later you get another txt/call saying they are nearly there, so then they can claim they never recieved it and get their money back and you loose your phone and money!!

The alternative is they collect then in a week or whenever they claim cashback from paypal, nothing you can do, same again you loose everything, thats why ebay tell you to only accept cash if someones collecting.

Thanks for the warning, wow that's sneaky she only has a feedback rating of 7 :) I'm glad I posted this now :)

Alison

Re: Re:

fettler":3uwa3ykz said:
Nearly everyone I know who has sold a phone on ebay ended up with bother or loss. For the sake of a few quid just I'd just let it go to Mazuma/Envirofone or similar.

I'd only get £10 on them, not worth the bother of posting. This, if it goes wrong, will be only the second transaction to go wrong on ebay in 15 years on the site, so there is hope :)

Alison

As long as you tell them its only cash if they want to collect, or better just tell them its post only, and make sure you get signed and tracked postage then you are covered by paypal if anything goes wrong. Paypal only covers goods posted and with the above proof.

Just google ebay phone scam to see how common it still is and other scams i havent mentioned, should give you something to read tonight :LOL:

mark

Re:

Thanks, I'll message to them with post only, I was planning to send with signature required anyway which the post office say conforms to eBays requirements for protection.

Alison

fettler":3ve6lmjs said:

I’ve personally sold over 10 on eBay and never had an issue. Assuming you stick to the golden rules you won’t get a problem. Cash on collection or signed for delivery and they have zero wiggle room.

Carl

drcarlos":3o72b9sb said:
fettler":3o72b9sb said:

I’ve personally sold over 10 on eBay and never had an issue. Assuming you stick to the golden rules you won’t get a problem. Cash on collection or signed for delivery and they have zero wiggle room.

Carl

Well I sold the phone, posted it signed for and have not heard anything since, so I can only assume it was a genuine buyer after all :)

Alison

About that phone you sold.

Just been located.

Attachments

• 839617A4-3D6E-47FA-BCF4-44598B03D420.jpeg
    839617A4-3D6E-47FA-BCF4-44598B03D420.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 536
Back