Retained firefighter, a good job?

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Starting to fill in the forms and have a meeting at my local fire station. Will have to shave but think it’ll be the useful thing I need to do.

Other RB members do this?

Re:

I’m full time Joe. We all admire the Retained lads and lasses as they give so much commitment for seemingly so little.

A good job? What do you want out of it? If your station is busy (say 400+ calls a year) you can make reasonable money out of it. Do you want to become full time? If so Retained will certainly help. Camaraderie? You could meet friends for life, alternatively some might not be your cup of tea. We’re a mixed bunch for sure! Something to do to fill your time? Yep, it’ll do that. A new challenge? You will learn some great new skills and also test yourself in ways you never knew.

Down sides are lack of cash for the hours you put in, being tied to your home/local area when on call, possible conflict with your primary employer and having the stomach for some of the stuff you might see.

Ultimately you won’t know until you try and you’ve got this far so give it a go. Oh, and join the FBU! ;)

If you want any more help or info feel free to contact me mate.

Re:

I’m hoping it will fit the gap left by no longer taking on deployment contracts at sea, feeling useful and utilised.
As for primary employer, struggle to have one as A I’m self employed and B trying to balance work and dad’s failing health has been nigh on impossible.
Shall see what happens and will definitely join FBU

Back