Weather in Wales - The best time of year to ride?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
It's a fair way out yet, but I am planning to ride the Lon Las Cymru next year, from Holyhead back to home in Weston-s-Mare.

I'll be doing it over five or six days and will have a tent but plan on using B&B's and hostels.

I want to avoid school holidays, so my question for those with local knowledge is... spring or autumn?

I don't mind wet days, I'd just prefer to avoid five or six of them. :mrgreen:

Re:

Hard to predict our Welsh weather if I'm honest
Spring time or Autumn can be very rewarding
When you decide please let me know we could catch up and ride along with you as a club. We meet every Sunday by Caernarfon Castle
Clwb Beicio Menai. Look us up

All the best
Malc

Re:

I know what South Wales is like, having lived close by and worked in and out of the Country for 40 years, but the North is a mystery to me, hence the question.

Thanks for the offer of company, but by Sunday of the week I hope to be back home as I am planning on setting out on a Monday morning from Holyhead.

As Malc suggests the weather in N. Wales is very hard to predict. You'd be very unlucky to get a run of 5 or 6 days of wet weather. It tends to change more often than that. A day can start out looking awful, and be quite sunny by late morning.

Personally, out of Autumn or Spring - I might lean towards Autumn. September is often nice - and you can get runs of dry even sunny weather up to mid Nov. Plus the sea should you fancy a dip will be warmer. Springwise, in recent years, we've sometimes had some wonderful weeks in Feb - only for snow to appear in April!

Re:

Thanks.

I was in the Brecon Beacons for three days late last September and the weather was warm, but we had rain every morning and blustery wind every afternoon to help dry us out. :facepalm:

Having spent many years in N Wales i would agree with others, Autumn would be my choice, usually more settled and warmer weather, but also as others have said, the weather is totally random so hey, it could be snowing all week :LOL:

Whatever time you end up going i hope its nice and you have a great trip :cool:

mark

Re:

That's what I was thinking. I always visit the West Highlands in early June and have not had a completely wet visit since doing that.

I think I'm inclined towards September, as although that makes it over a year away, it does give the me the chance to plan a couple of other things I have in mind for next year.

Back