Today's Ride

Re:

Today-Tuesday-Cooler, 78 F. and sunny. Another nice day for it. Al-The Forest of Dean looks cool...

Attachments

• Water District Map and Info.jpg
    Water District Map and Info.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 496
  • Picnic area.jpg
    Picnic area.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 496
Re:

Today-Wednesday-A cool 75 F. in Fairfax and much cooler in San Francisco. Today's ride was in my car with Charlie Kelly. We drove South through San Francisco down the peninsula about 50 miles to Tom Ritchey's shop to pick up a new frame that Tom gave to CK. It's a beautiful frame, handmade by Tom for the Handmade Bike Show this year-A P29. It's got seamlesss fillets at the joints. We had a fun ride down and back...

Attachments

• Robin Williams Tunnel on US 101.jpg
    Robin Williams Tunnel on US 101.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 481
  • CK gets his frame.jpg
    CK gets his frame.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 481
  • Golden Gat Bridge.jpg
    Golden Gat Bridge.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 481
Sounds like a good day, have you got any more pictures of the frame? :)

mark

Re:

Some of you may be aware that I have been a bit under the weather recently. I was determined to get back to fitness, and so I used the Malvern Hills to see if I was anywhere near to my previous abilities. I have ridden the Hills many times so I knew what to expect, and it would be a good measure of how far I had come since Surgery and then completing 6 months of Chemotherapy only 25 days ago.

In addition to this, I also chose my 60th Birthday for the climb to the top of the Worcestershire Beacon. There were a couple of sections where I thought that it was just a bit too much for me to manage, but…… well read on anyway.

From My sister’s house in Great Malvern, I cycled to the North Quarry Car Park, which is known locally as the Clocktower Car Park as there is a Clocktower with a Well at the bottom of it just along the road.

Clocktower CarPark 130818 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

First picture stop on the grassy knoll above St Anne’s Well – you’ll see the old circular seat that the camera is perched on for this timer shot in the picture after this one.

Decision time now; whether to try climbing the hectic path parallel to Green Valley, or traverse up the East Face. If you tackle the shorter Green Valley route, your heart and lungs feel like they are gonna bust out of your rib cage by the time you get to Lady Howard de Walden Drive. So I decided that under the circumstances, the longer East Face accent would be a better option.

. by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Just over a third up – you can just make out the circular seat that I mention in the centre of the grassy knoll.

Two thirds up, and just above the height of Lady Howard de Walden Drive, which you can just make out running around North Hill. In the Victorian era she paid out a small fortune for the construction of paths on the Malvern Hills including that broad driveway which encompassed Worcestershire Beacon and North Hill - all so she could trot along there in a Pony and Trap :roll: . Poor bloody ponies I say!

Three quarters of the way up, and I really got a sweat on. You can see how much weight I have lost during the treatment – Yes Ernie, I realise that I need a good meal.

More food required 130818 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Made it! A local walker took this picture of me at the top.

Worcs Beacon 25 days after treatment by Philip Mock, on Flickr

This is the first time that I have taken my 1996 Ku on the Hills - Just perfect.

Next episode was a different type of challenge along length of the lower East Face, down into Herefordshire.

Pip.

First off, Happy Birthday Pip :cool:

Also looks like a real challenge and from the great looking pics looks like you enjoyed it too :D

And have to mention the bike also, very nice, seat looks high but i could soon lower that :LOL:

Good to see you back and looking forward to more :cool:

mark

Not today as it rained all day. But close today

Attachments

• ride.png
    ride.png
    165 KB · Views: 440
  • Summer.png
    Summer.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 440
Re:

Great job Pipmeister-I'm still trying to ride myself back into shape also-though not as far along as you. Keep it up!

Re: Re:

pipmeister":13liecaf said:
Some of you may be aware that I have been a bit under the weather recently. I was determined to get back to fitness, and so I used the Malvern Hills to see if I was anywhere near to my previous abilities. I have ridden the Hills many times so I knew what to expect, and it would be a good measure of how far I had come since Surgery and then completing 6 months of Chemotherapy only 25 days ago.

In addition to this, I also chose my 60th Birthday for the climb to the top of the Worcestershire Beacon. There were a couple of sections where I thought that it was just a bit too much for me to manage, but…… well read on anyway.

From My sister’s house in Great Malvern, I cycled to the North Quarry Car Park, which is known locally as the Clocktower Car Park as there is a Clocktower with a Well at the bottom of it just along the road.

Clocktower CarPark 130818 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

First picture stop on the grassy knoll above St Anne’s Well – you’ll see the old circular seat that the camera is perched on for this timer shot in the picture after this one.

Decision time now; whether to try climbing the hectic path parallel to Green Valley, or traverse up the East Face. If you tackle the shorter Green Valley route, your heart and lungs feel like they are gonna bust out of your rib cage by the time you get to Lady Howard de Walden Drive. So I decided that under the circumstances, the longer East Face accent would be a better option.

Just over a third up – you can just make out the circular seat that I mention in the centre of the grassy knoll.

Two thirds up, and just above the height of Lady Howard de Walden Drive, which you can just make out running around North Hill. In the Victorian era she paid out a small fortune for the construction of paths on the Malvern Hills including that broad driveway which encompassed Worcestershire Beacon and North Hill - all so she could trot along there in a Pony and Trap :roll: . Poor bloody ponies I say!

Three quarters of the way up, and I really got a sweat on. You can see how much weight I have lost during the treatment – Yes Ernie, I realise that I need a good meal.

More food required 130818 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Made it! A local walker took this picture of me at the top.

Worcs Beacon 25 days after treatment by Philip Mock, on Flickr

This is the first time that I have taken my 1996 Ku on the Hills - Just perfect.

Next episode was a different type of challenge along length of the lower East Face, down into Herefordshire.

Pip.

Well done mate ..great effort.., :LOL: and yes you could do with a good pasty and chips to build you up :LOL: :cool: you are a top bloke :cool: ...no doubt others on here wish good health and all the best for the future.. :D

Ernie
;)

Re:

Thank you Mark and cheers Ernie for your words of praise and encouragement – it all helps. Special thanks and well done to Pat too – you have clearly made a remarkable recovery judging by your postings on here.

The next day I decided to cycle the length of the Hills along the lower third down into Herefordshire. You can have a varied ride this way along the labyrinth of paths that traverse the Hills through the heavier wooded areas, and single track when the terrain opens out towards the South of the Hills.

Here’s the Clocktower just along from North Quarry on the North Malvern Road. The Well at the bottom just behind that gate is one of many where the Malvern water flows.

My basic camera struggled with taking pictures through the wooded sections, but you get the idea of the choice of trails. This is above Great Malvern Town Centre, so it is well trod, and very open. Which way to go – lower, upper or middle!
East Face run 140818 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Daylight again!
East Face run 140818_1 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

As you get further South, you leave the heavier wooded sections and begin to get glimpses through the trees. You can see what I mean when I said lower third – this about 500 ft above the River Severn flood plain.

Now this is the area of the Hills that I enjoy – lovely single track with the sun glimpsing through the trees and not a soul to be seen.

Looking North
East Face run 140818_3 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Looking South
East Face run 140818_4 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

The curious Earnslaw Quarry, with a good fill of water even after this dry spell. You would not want to fall in there from above!
East Face run 140818_5 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Now beginning to open out with even fewer trees.

Looking South.
East Face run 140818_6 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Looking North. You can see the top of Worcestershire Beacon where I was yesterday in the Distance.
East Face run 140818_7 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Round a corner and there is the Herefordshire Beacon – an Iron Age Hill fort and the second highest of the Hills.

Job done I reckon!

Pip

Back