Surviving life.

Not sure if this helps but I can empathise with the getting home exhausted after a full on day and a long commute, so I took a bike to work, and at 12:30 each day I ride as fast as I can for 15min then turn around and ride back.... it calms me down and my afternoon interactions with staff & customers either face to face or by e-mail have become a lot less confrontational.

I can confirm that excercise, especially vigorous cardio such as running, circuits, PT sessions, etc is really good for your state of mind. It vacated all worries with the feeling that you’re going to die and you will simply concentrate on breathing and any technical aspect of your workout. Then at the end since you didn’t die (hopefully) you feel much better about life. And then you’ll get a nice shot of seratonin and endorphins afterwards, if you’ve done it right. Just don’t get addicted to them :)

Re:

One of the first few things I did when 'addressing my mortality' was having a lunchbreak every day and making sure I leave work even for 30 mins. If you are in Swanage there is usually a strange looking man reading a practical classics magazine sitting on a bench overlooking the cliffs towards Old Harry Rocks :LOL:

If you are nearby pop in for a chat :)

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":2lvagrto said:
If you can somehow force yourself to get out, or, get the other half to make (nag) you go out, then after 20-30 minutes you’ll be glad you went out on your bike.

Make sure everything is ready to go when you come home from work so there are no excuses. I can’t believe just how much better I feel mentally and physically after riding. I’ve learnt that, personally, when I feel there is no time and I have no focus, weirdly, turning pedals makes it less overwhelming.

Great point. My wife nowadays knows how this works and I get ordered to go out on my bike!
Having a regular ride buddy helps - you both commit to a ride, neither would have gone out alone but goes out 'because I promised to' - and both benefit.

Thanks guys. I've read every word, every one appreciated.

I know I haven't responded since last week, so here goes.

Friday I woke up feeling awful, headache, dizzy etc. (looking back, not the first time in recent history) and couldn't drive, so called work. They arranged for me to have the weekend off... which means the start of a new 3-week stretch. Spiffy.

Spoke to the wife, who throughout everything is always the most supportive person you could ever imagine. She got my bike out of the garage on saturday morning and basically pushed me down the driveway. I did 5 miles. I did another 5 miles Monday after work. I intend to do more tomorrow night. I'm still exhausted, but I have targets, and don't want to let myself down.

Spoke to my line manager at work today and told her that while I'll never shirk my responsibilities, after this stretch, I'm throttling back. She supported it 100%.

I want to say thanks to Mr Ox for pointing out 'Burnout'. I'd never heard of it.

My_Teenage_Self":2gk14ibp said:
Thanks guys. I've read every word, every one appreciated.

I know I haven't responded since last week, so here goes.

Friday I woke up feeling awful, headache, dizzy etc. (looking back, not the first time in recent history) and couldn't drive, so called work. They arranged for me to have the weekend off... which means the start of a new 3-week stretch. Spiffy.

Spoke to the wife, who throughout everything is always the most supportive person you could ever imagine. She got my bike out of the garage on saturday morning and basically pushed me down the driveway. I did 5 miles. I did another 5 miles Monday after work. I intend to do more tomorrow night. I'm still exhausted, but I have targets, and don't want to let myself down.

Spoke to my line manager at work today and told her that while I'll never shirk my responsibilities, after this stretch, I'm throttling back. She supported it 100%.

I want to say thanks to Mr Ox for pointing out 'Burnout'. I'd never heard of it.

Really pleased to hear you're taking some time back for yourself, it's also great that the people around you are 100% with you as it makes it so much easier to throttle back.

Steve

Good to hear your turning a corner and hopefully the route will be a good one
and you’ll be able to move on and distance yourself from recent events

If you get any spare time knockout a few of those super cool bike stands ... I want one !

Re:

If your taking a slight step back at work the just make sure you stick to it !! Those above a great at backing you 100% but will also come out with the "really sorry but" line and before you know it your back in the same work pattern ! :( you have taken the first big step by realising your life needs changing and you have told your superiors that its going to happen :) stick to it and good luck ;)

Mick

Back