Errr...um toe-clips?

Re:

The general idea is that there are so many different clipless styles out there, that the companies put on a cheap pair of starter pedals on the bike, or leave them off completely. As they are normally the first thing to be binned for replacement, my LBS has a massive box of these cheap pedals and straps that have been replaced at point of sale. If the companies really wanted to fit clipless they have inserts with reflectors on to meet Euro/British standards.

If they have to sell them with pedals attatched then its a waste of money for them to spec more expensive spd's if the buyer is just going to bin them for their prefered pedal. Of course you can change them at the shop, or maybe they already had a favourite pair from another bike!

Just selling regs, same applies to lots of things, motorbikes for example have to be sold with a cat and other emission restraints, none of which are a legal requirement to the owner, only the manufacturer and can be removed after purchase. There are lots more examples just for motorbikes, the number plate/rear light holder, the lights in general, all have to be fitted legally for sale, none of which have to stay once owned.

Also some prefer straps to clips, a lot suffer from knee problems due to clips :)

legrandefromage":jszs2fa5 said:
Its how bikes are put together for minimum safety here in the UK. Dont know about elsewhere but they had to be sold with pedals no matter how crappy.

Doesnt mention pedals specifically but I'm sure theres something somewhere

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libr ... egulations

Interesting. I recently bought a new <spit> 2016 Esatto and since Kona's logistics centre is in Rotterdam with the HQ in Monaco, the "accessories" that came with it included a French supplement on how to set-up the front and rear brand new but terribly made old-skool alkaline battery lights, an even more retro big steel bell and the usual orange wheel reflectors. No pedals were supplied.

I get why they are supplied and I'm sure a few people use them but it does seem a gigantic waste of resources if the majority ends up at the recycling centre, landfill, etc.

Re:

Agree about the waste thing.

The last complete bike I purchased was in Asia about 8 years ago. The catalogue clearly stated no pedals attached (with pictures).

I went to the shop with a pair of SPDs and saddle and they fitted them and I rode 'home' on a complete new bike with a saddle poking out of my jersey back pocket. The shop
had the forsight not to put
the wheel reflectors on when they assembled it but asked me if I wanted them.

Re:

;-) ...cheeky.

Oddly, I could have done with a bell and an highly intensified amplifier to help pick my way through scooters, cars, carts and livestock.

Back