Errr...um toe-clips?

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
OK, someone enlighten me. My neighbour just showed me his new bike.

A modern Spesh Roubaix carbon road bike jobby complete with aero tri / TT bars
and shitty cage pedals with plastic toe clips and nylon straps.

If the Generalized had down tube shifters I may have believed to be in an appropriate time warp reality but I was so stunned I couldn't pinch myself nevermind comment.

Is this like retro-mod gone wrong, LBS off loading shit or am I stupid and not with it anymore (again)?

Humble SPuDs are getting on for 30 and not showing middle age spread, Look's are from around '86 so what is going on?

Let the collective wisdom of RB enlighten me otherwise I may have to start to drink heavily because at the moment it just does not compute.

And a fudge to get round british standards is to sell it without pedals, then it's not technically a bike. (unless that loophole has been closed.)

Could also be that neighbour is a novice and planning to do a triathlon. Won't have his own pedals yet.

Some triathletes in the shorter distances also use clips and straps to save time in transition. (Used to anyway, not been to a triathlon in ~10 years.) so he may have been advised to do that to start with.

And Tri bars on a comfort bike? Odd to say the least!

They are not 'British' standards, they are European standards.

Only the bell, lighting and reflector part is there specifically for the UK

But does the loophole still exist? British or European. (Always used to be BS6102 BITD, i guess that's been superseded by an EN by now!)

Edit, yes, replaced in 2013, by which time i really wasn't looking out for it.

Woz":247c5dsd said:
.... Generalized .....
like it, I might use that one myself.

some people feel they need a carbon road bike and tri-bars cos it makes you go faster and then promptly ride with trainers, hence the toeclips

Re:

Interesting. The said bike is from the UK. I remember bikes of a certain (high) calibre sold w/o pedals as they were a riders personal preference to match with their shoes; at least what I was lead to believe.

That's one of the other reasons. TBH stock clipless pedals would almost always be something from shimano, and i hate shimano pedals with a passion. So do my knees.

Back