Almost three-quarters

Re:

So 72% say it would be better if more people cycled..... other people, not them. Then that would leave more room on the roads for their huge SUV's and 4x4's, so that they could get to Costa even faster after dropping off little Jasmin a junior pilates.

The most dangerous times of day for a cyclist around here are school drop off / pick up times, as 12 stone of flesh and bone and a few pounds of steel tube are no match for a school run mum in her assault vehicle.

Two of my children have now started cycling to school, my youngest son and my oldest daughter (13 & 17 respectively). The cycle track switches from one side to the other of a very busy main road (Scarborough to York) several times over the 7 mile ride and it really really scares me, but they are getting so much exercise from doing it. I just wish it could all be put on one side of the road. (My husband also cycles to the same place but on the way there he goes by road rather than keep switching sides and on the cycle track and road on the way home).

Alison

From when i go to Swinley Forest and QE2 Park i'd say its more like 40% women. Perhaps more women down South ride mtb's?

Re:

NeilM":2sgs3y68 said:
The most dangerous times of day for a cyclist around here are school drop off / pick up times, as 12 stone of flesh and bone and a few pounds of steel tube are no match for a school run mum in her assault vehicle.

Quite.

Only matched by Friday evening traffic when everyone is DESPERATE to get home so it's ok to make close passes or pull out on you!

Trying to get my O/H into cycling, built her a nice little specialized. It hasn't grabbed her yet though.

the things ive seen as a cycling prof teacher......i once saw one parent drive up onto the pavement over the lawn ,up on to a rise in the ground ,over the top ,across the grass again,over the pavement and park in the middle of the school garden to drop kids off...she drove through a damn flower bed...this was on school grounds too...the next week we had cops patrolling .....

Back