Recommend me a cordless drill? Ryobi?

BoyBurning":35eqjqdj said:
The History Man":35eqjqdj said:
Raised a chuck le.

Not sure if that will save me from ikea hell.

Have you bought it to assemble things? If so, return the drill and get an impact driver as per my previous post.

They are incredible pieces of kit.

They don't drill holes, but if you're putting in / taking out screws / bolts nothing comes close.

I'm a firm believer in specific tools for specific jobs - don't use a drill to put in screws, no matter how versatile you think the thing is!

I agree with most of this, except using a drill to put screws in - obviously depends on what drill.

I've just laid new floor boards with pilot hole, and screwed in with the Scintilla Bosch CSB 470 RLE in oak joists no problems
at all. If anything it's perfect since it is light, compact, variable speed, slow soft start. Some +280 2" screws which
would equate to a fair few flat packs from Ikea.

That said, the Scintilla Bosch CSB 470 RLE is from the 80s and made in Switzerland and as sufficient torque for most jobs
except masonary and drill sizes +10mm.

I do agree the ultimate is an impact screw driver - even the ones from Lidl are powerfull but there is no clutch
auto-stop so you can risk driving the screws too deep or even ripping the heads off.

I have no long-term faith in any battery powered tools. Been there, and never again. If I was to set-up a work shop
from scratch again, I would probably favour compressed air tools for reliability.

Re:

The History Man":md6auov2 said:
These must be some use to somebody? Pains me to bin them but batteries don’t hold charge. Drill are 20 years old but are in perfect working order with chargers. Albeit briefly. Need the chucks? 10mm and 13mm.

Postage to uk complete and boxed or worldwide without batteries. At cost by cheapest option and buyer’s risk.

At the end of next weekend these will be reluctantly scrapped.

Save them! Cheers THM.

Re:

About 4 years ago I bought a pair of ryobi drills and they have proved very reliable. The only issue was that from the very beginning the batteries were rubbish and were soon replaced by aftermarket ones - nothing special but long lasting and a massive improvement.

These have gone to the Netherlands. Not the droopy tulip. It probably came from there.

I went makita even though she made awful records in the 80s.

The History Man":25vz6qwi said:
Anybody want these old Bosch bodies?

Are chucks removable? Presumably all the brands are different again. What a waste. Bodies are still perfectly useable.

Chucks normally have a left hand threaded screw in the middle. Once that's out you clamp a biggish allen key in the jaws and use that as a lever to unscrew the chuck (right hand thread). Sometimes a clout to the end of the allen key is enough to release it, sometimes you need to find a way of locking the motor. They are fairly interchangeable, as far as I can tell most of them are either a 3/8" or 1/2" thread.

I've just replaced the chuck on my 20 year old Black and Decker corded drill because I couldn't bring myself to throw it out and it was no use without one.

BobToo":koe2fesg said:
The History Man":koe2fesg said:
Anybody want these old Bosch bodies?

Are chucks removable? Presumably all the brands are different again. What a waste. Bodies are still perfectly useable.

Chucks normally have a left hand threaded screw in the middle. Once that's out you clamp a biggish allen key in the jaws and use that as a lever to unscrew the chuck (right hand thread). Sometimes a clout to the end of the allen key is enough to release it, sometimes you need to find a way of locking the motor. They are fairly interchangeable, as far as I can tell most of them are either a 3/8" or 1/2" thread.

I've just replaced the chuck on my 20 year old Black and Decker corded drill because I couldn't bring myself to throw it out and it was no use without one.
Thanks but long gone via karma to netherlands

Back