Calling dibs vs fair play

guy80000":2f5y1nd7 said:
Wow sorry I've hit a nerve obviously, I'll delete my account and slip away into the wilderness, it's been a pleasure folks

Think your account has already been deleted

viewtopic.php?f=3&p=2846570#p2846570

That’s all folks..... the fat lady has been, seen and sung her heart out

Guy80000, If you do check back in and see this where do you want the toe nail clippings THM is gifting you sent

Re:

I’ve held a pair of wheels for a month for a well respected member here as he wanted them so much - after a month I had to chase him. ‘Oh, I don’t want them now’
That taught me a lesson.
Dibs belongs in the playground.
Edit: having said that, there are a handful of people, and one in particular, that I will hold items for because I know they’re as good as gold.

guy80000":5uq8uz0u said:
Sorry for the whinge folks i just need to get this off my chest,
Yesterday a gt sts came up for sale, I was the first to post to ask if postage was available but then had to go out for a few hours, the seller replied to say yes but they would just need to find a box to send it, in the mean time I went out but when I got back i checked the listing and another user had called dibs on it even though there were enquiries from other retrobikers, the seller had messaged me to say someone else was going to see it and and went on to buy it this morning even though I enquired first. To be fair I told the seller I had to wait till my gf was back from work to confirm I could definately buy the bike but I was given the green light by her only to be told the bike had sold this morning. I am a little miffed I wasnt given the chance seeing how I was the first to post a reply and show interest. Does calling dibs after someone has shown interest automatically give them proirity or am i just a sore loser. Sorry if im out of order i just feel it was a little unsportsman like as a quick sale was not stated in the listing.
Enjoy your sunny sunday
Guy
Sorry to say this but there's to many if's but's and maybe's in your story if I was the seller I'd probably do the same, BTW this is just my opinion not the sites.
And don't get me started on the bloody "Dibs" thing :facepalm:

I'll usually sell to the first person to wave used £20 notes at me. 'Dibs' has usually meant 'I'll take it' but you may never hear from them again whereas 'whats your paypal address' works for me every time.

I've been here a loooong time and its still a reasonably civilised place with a first come first served unwritten rule.

Re:

My two pence worth is: Expressing an interest or calling dibs on a thread aren't firm commitments to buy, I'm fairly reasonable so a Pm would probably sway me to hold something, however realistically if I wanted something that badly I'd be making payment or at the very least sending a deposit.

Re:

I try to be crystal - Il take it. PM me your payment details. Il only call Dibs if its pending clarification on a spec or if better pics are needed, then converting into a sale. Im not a fan of ‘PM sent’ responses. Its intentionally vague and non committal imo.

Emotions can run high if some uber rare killer deal is on offer. Then shennanigans usually start behind the scenes :LOL: It happens but most of us here are long time users and respect the protocols and unwritten rules. Car forums ive used in the past were very tightly controlled in this regard and the ban hammer was unforgiving.

:LOL:

whoever went round and actually bought the bike; you should start a thread, and some pics would be good :cool:

Back