Taking bikes to center parcs and theft

I alternate them, and also for a couple of them rotate the handlebars through 90 degrees to keep it all narrow

I’d take them, but lock them and insure them as required. Else what’s the point in having them if you don’t use them in your life, when you want?

Re:

Sherwood and Whinfell have never had a problem here, have the usual thriving skin signs so lock them up.
But that's the same as trail centres and town anyway.

Use the T-bars since you have them, much easier. And neater.

Which racks have you got.
If Pro style quick clamp fat swing arm.

For the two outer ones switch the mount to the other side for one of them, so they just fall in/out easily with the bar up from the side of the car.
If a middle on, then whatever floats your boat.
Kids bike can be an arse sometimes as they are well shorter and then downtube is in the wrong place, so work on getting it setup nicely.
That and the bars are also in the wrong place if reversed.

But your setup may not have a problem.

Re:

Cheers for the advice.

Indeed, what's the point in having them if too scared to ride. I'll make sure they are insured, some already are, some need adding.

I'll play with the roof bars over the weekend if I get time, might put the adult bikes on the roof and the kids ones out the back.

Re:

The saris bones is an excellent rack. Took me one trip to trust it without constantly looking in my mirror. I now don’t think twice about putting three gates/29ers on it on the back of the x trail. Doddle to load and set up. Just don’t put hooks on glass edges.

Re:

Do the bikes get in the way of the lights using the saris? Don't want to get pulled over by the police.

Depends on the car and the bikes. Mine was fine with high level light clusters on a 4x4

Re:

That's the plan, but not sure I'll get 4 on top of the focus estate. The ford aero bars are a sculpted so the usable bar is not as wide as the roof.

Re:

Thule racks now fitted. No way am I getting four on the roof, so the saris will get dusted down and tested at the weekend.

Attachments

• 2018-03-18 23.30.31.jpg
    2018-03-18 23.30.31.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 590
Try putting them front/back/front/back/front. And see if you can slide them as well.
My record is 5 on a Bora, had room for 6, but only 5 racks :(

(Another 9 bikes in pieces in the boot/back seat, but that's another story!)

Back