When did 'just going for a ride' disappear?

Because Aldi made gear that's comfy cheap and easy to get hold of.
and since I have it I may as well wear something comfy, it's still just going out for a ride.

I don't like wearing Jeans for riding in, not comfy for me. Sports bottoms or Suit trousers are much better.
T-Shirts and jackets are fine, but when I can wear the comfier and less sweaty for the same cost, then why not. Saves me buying another T-shirt I would need anyway.
Backpacks, I like a drink and can never find my water bottle.

Re:

slightly off topic, but I was out the week before last on my winter bike. Flashing lights, mudguards and warm clothes, when three hotshots on carbon fibre everything whizzed passed me with barely a nod. As an old roadie I was straight on the back until one of them cracked and took me back with him. I jumped passed him and got on the back of the other two. Look of shock on their faces was priceless when they turned round and saw my big old grey beard and woolly hat instead of their mate. :cool:

Re:

I agree with the cheese.

For a lot of people it seems to be all about the gear.

I have all the kit in the back of my car to get out of most trouble, but I encounter so many twats who have it all on display, and as soon as you stop to assist them you are confronted with their desire to spend an hour showing you all their gear, at which point I cut in with, "Well, right, all and good, let's just get on with it."

Re:

I have to admit I am a little peeved I haven't been down in the smoke for the snow.

It was surreal last time, my wife had about nine inches in Maida Vale!

Re:

I bought my modern P7 specifically so I could 'just go for a ride' and set it up with flat pedals, bottle cage etc. Minimal fuss, pair of trainers, no backpack or tools, off we go.

I found I was missing out on rides on my full suss as it meant cleaning the Camelback, finding my SPD shoes, cleaning the bike when I got home and other assorted stuff that put me off going for a quick blast.

As for all the gear, I wouldn't go out in jeans as it takes no time to chuck a pair of shorts on. I have various items of cycling clothes of various quality so will tend to chuck on the first thing I grab.

Back