amazon firestick, freeview etc i have questions!

Re:

We are fully up with Firesticks in our household, got them on one of Amazons black friday deals, £30 each, I do have the yearly £79 Amazon Prime subscription, but it pays for itself with the amount of stuff we all buy off Amazon :shock:

The one connected to the main telly also has Kodi installed (plenty of Youtube step by step vids to show you how) and with it comes all the new movies and tv shows / sports you can wish for, and you dont need the Amazon Prime subscription for that!

Re:

How difficult is it to get to your dish.
I've fitted our own at two places now and it's a simple job really.
If it is just the LNB that has gone, then either it's crap (it's not normal for it to go),or the person making the cable end has not sealed it well and it's got damp.
Possibly it's just knocked out of alignment in the wind and you need to nudge it a bit.

Re: Re:

pencilman77":2zw3i43g said:
We are fully up with Firesticks in our household, got them on one of Amazons black friday deals, £30 each, I do have the yearly £79 Amazon Prime subscription, but it pays for itself with the amount of stuff we all buy off Amazon :shock:

The one connected to the main telly also has Kodi installed (plenty of Youtube step by step vids to show you how) and with it comes all the new movies and tv shows / sports you can wish for, and you dont need the Amazon Prime subscription for that!
And if it's what I think it is, it's also illegal.
Not Kodi, but your plugins to get the latest movies and whatnots.

Re:

ok, a few more things to consider then, first of all, i'm not interested if it's illegal or dodgy, just can't be arsed with that but if it works for you and you're happy with that that's up to you.

fixing my dish, i'm not technical with that stuff so i'd be happy to forget it's even there, also it seems like that's just not the way Tv is going regarding wifi/streaming etc so i'd rather change away from satellite tv anyway.

regards "now tv", it's the same cost as firestick for the unit, but unless i'm mistaken there are more overall options from the firestick regards channels etc, aswel as the option for paying the yearly fee and getting more as a package

FFS, was hoping it was simple . . . like me. :facepalm:

If you want to watch films legally, somebody has to be paid somewhere. I've stuck with sky as the other platforms are either unavailable or no better than what I have already, out here in the sticks.

Well I have smart TV's, Firsticks etc. But to be honest I still watch most on the Freeview / Freesat setups with a bit of streaming from iPlayer/4OD etc. My Samsung TV does all that streaming with ease.
Anything can do that now really, they all have spats and squabbles as apps get pulled/ added over money.

I'm not a youtuber either, find very little on there for the big screen that's not fine on my tablet.

I'm not a movie watcher though.
I do have Prime subscription so do watch the odd movie or tv show on amazon (be it the TV, FTV stick, computer, tablet, Wii U, BlueRay player they'll all play Amazon...) very little on there to be honest that isn't pay extra above the Prime subscription. It's getting cluttered with trying to get you to pay more and more and just rehashing the odd old film, bar the 'TV series exclusive' which I tend not to watch.

The kids don't use them either as they just use the computer or tablet to use Youtube whatever.

I have a good Broadband (250Mbit) so that's not an influence for me.

Your motives may vary and I suggest giving thing a go, they don't cost a lot for any of them.
Don't get Prime subscription unless you need it (you can get iplayer for free).

It's not simple as they all have advantages and disadvantages.
The only 'simple' one is buy a Smart TV with the main On demand apps in it AND normal TV all from one remote.

As a side,

Get an Amazon account (free) and have a look around from you computer.
If you have a tablet, then download their Amazon app and Amazon Video App and see if it has what you need.
The stick is much the same just in a convenient 'square dangly thing

If you get the stick, Make sure you get the 2017 version (ot's quad core and ac wifi) or the cuboid small box (the 4K version, which is a bit faster still).

The biggest downfall for me is the interface and the fact it always chucks pay me stuff in your face (which may suit you as a pay on demand user to rent movies etc.

The Firestick doesn't do Freeview channels, just the net based catch up TV. If you have Amazon Prime, you get the free movies and TV shows. We have it for the next day deliveries anyway.

It's app based, so gets Netflix etc if you have a subscription.

I hate ads and can't be bothered with all the crap on TV, which seems to be all about baking and eating random stuff in jungles, so I'm fine with Prime, Netflix, Spotify for some music, and the catch up services for whatever F1, MotoGp and other racing is on.

The firestick is a nice little device, within it's limits.

Back