amazon firestick, freeview etc i have questions!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
ok, so i pretty much haven't used my actual Tv in about 2 years, this is because it did have Sky tv and i bought the tv before freeview was part of the tv itself and since binning sky when i went off to NZ for a while i then didn't renew it when i got back as the freeview option still worked via the sky dish even though i wasn't paying for sky, so in effect it was being used as a freeview box set up.

but then the dish died so the tv completely had no connection, as a result i started watching tv via my I-mac as the screen is pretty big.

but now i'm getting a little frustrated with that as i know i don't get all the freeview channels and certain channels won't play films etc via live streaming that are actually on tv at the same time. not to mention being limited to pretty much BBC, ITV, 4od, channel 5 etc which can be dull.

so i'm looking at options, the one that interests me from talking to some friends is the Amazon firestick, anyone got one? how much did you pay for it? one time fee? or monthly? and what add-ons are you using and at what cost? and is it only available from Amazon? as i don't have an account with them.

please note that generally with electrical stuff i am not that technical so please keep the jargon simple!

if it makes any difference the tv has HDMI slots etc but that's as much as i know!

your thoughts oh mighty retrobike knowledge warriors!

:D

I love my fire stick. Bought it this time last year. Good selection of films. Lots of tv too. Transferable between sets. Links in with laptop/pc access. Yearly subscription is £80. Stick was 40.

All the normal tv on demand services are included.

You won’t look back.

The most common 'fault' with the Fire stick is that people dont use the external power supply and the stick goes fop.

Beyond that, are you sure the dish is broke? that doesnt happen very often, the boxes usually go first (I used to get mine from the tip and refurbish them). Re-register it with Sky and you'll get all the freeview channels - we do that now and again to get better offers from them.

Oh and I have freesat. Bought the first box years ago to the the dish then added a couple more rooms and a multi lem(?)

Google have just withdrawn support for YouTube on FireOS, which locks out a lot of content.
You have been warned. Probably the best box is Roku in terms of being a neutral platform and esy to use. Also consider a YouView device which has all the catch-up services built in.

The reason many movies aren't available on catchup is the license restriction from Hollywood.

legrandefromage":2yqlofsi said:
The most common 'fault' with the Fire stick is that people dont use the external power supply and the stick goes fop.

yeah, the horizontal hold thing is dead, leaves the picture blank or extremely messed up, sound works though! it happened before when it was still in warranty and they replaced it, the exact same thing is happening so i'm pretty sure it's the dish assembly, you know the big lumpy bit that sits on the end of the arm, they had to replace the whole thing and they wanted £200 until they accepted it was warranty.

Re:

hmm, some of the names you guys are chucking out i don't know of at all, shows how far out of the loop i am with this.

regards the firestick though, £40 to buy it plus £80 a year? don't get me wrong that doesn't seem too bad but is it possible to just buy the firestick for £40 and not have to subscribe? assuming this means less channels?

I haven't tried it, but was seriously considering a Now TV box to replace our sky box.

It seems to offer all freeview content, plus adding on any sky options you want with no fixed subscription fee. if you want sports, movies, sky atlantic etc, you just pay month by month.

might be worth a look?

Back