Compulsory helmets and hi-viz

Re:

A government consultation in the New Year will consider whether helmets and high-visibility vests should be mandatory for cyclists on roads. Do you think it should or should not be compulsory for cyclists to wear helmets and high-visibility vests when cycling on the road?
I don't know about you, but I consider that to be a 'leading question'. You wouldn't get away with that in a law court, yet when it comes to "having the public debate", it is the only sort of question that we get asked.

Re:

"Do you think it should or should not be compulsory for cyclists to wear helmets and high-visibility vests when cycling on the road?"

That is not a leading question, but the whole debate certainly seems to be 'leading'.

In equal measure; cyclists need to up their game whilst motorists should be compelled to do the same.

Every time we see a cyclist with no lights I get pissed off. Same as I feel when I see a motorist close passing a bike. Same feeling.

Let's all aim for some equilibrium; though I feel motorists have much further to travel to reach such.

Re:

I think non compliance by cyclists, if this passes into law, will be seen as a mittigating ‘get out’ by dangerous or lethal drivers.

Re: Re:

M-Power":10vgor2m said:
I think non compliance by cyclists, if this passes into law, will be seen as a mittigating ‘get out’ by dangerous or lethal drivers.

agree. On the two times i was hit by a car. The police asked if i had lights and a hi-viz jacket on. which i did. Didn't ask if i had helmet on. Which i didn't. They got points on their licence and i got a nice pay out. Lucky to be alive as both times hit from the back.

Two points are continuously being missed 1 99% of bike helmets are woefully designed ( in fact have barely changed in construction for 30years, polystyrene wrapped in plastic) & do little to prevent brain injury only skull trauma. 2 mixing transportation vehicles together, the Dutch realised this was killing cyclists and segregated highways, problem massively reduced. 99% of automotive drivers are currently ill equipped to deal with driving in a responsible and legal manner.

Get yer lid on, high vis then straddle that entire lane all the way to work @8km/h.

RIDE TO RULE

With tailbacks stretching miles and complaints about the well lit cyclists obeying the law implicitly, im sure they would find a way of giving up proper thought out pathways to ride safely on.

Re:

The voice of reason: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politic ... and-safety

I'm always rather dubious when people claim that a cycle helmet saved their life. I think bicycle helmets are probably too thin, light and week to actually save your life, but they may stop some cuts and bruises.

Compare a bicycle helmet to a motorcycle helmet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMvIsXT1G9Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7F8Y6Uf6Ls

Notice the cycle helmet is destroyed by just letting the sledgehammer fall on the helmet once, the motorcycle helmet takes several good swings.

I was always happy to wear a motorcycle helmet.

I'm also sick of pedestrians walking into the road staring at their moby, usually dressed in all black or dark hard to see clothing and this is whilst I'm driving into work in the car with big headlights on. So Hi Viz for all then and we still won't see each other! as I need convincing that people actually bother to look.

Latest posts

Back