Compulsory helmets and hi-viz

Re: Re:

M-Power":2wakd0iw said:
In Aus compulsory helmets reduced cycling. Its a simple way to avoid dealing with the main issue which is countering aggressive impatient dangerous drivers. Im pro helmet choice and pro bike lane segregation and against compulsory high viz clothing. I always ride legally on the road. It will be a new tax and ID plates next.

Only when they start taxing cyclists will our voices truly be heard :facepalm: , at the moment the government isn't making any money out of us but yet spend on cycle lanes and such so in return they will make us wear hi viz and helmets and tax them out of proportion its got nothing to do with cycle/road safety otherwise they would have to yearly retest drivers to get rid of the numpty's. :roll:

legrandefromage":2wakd0iw said:
It will be officious council bastards like it was in carparks around here a few years ago

Now that may lead to job opportunities for ex-pros can't see the council man chasing down Mr racing snake commuter whippet in rush hour traffic :LOL:

legrandefromage":1wl6ke4b said:
I've only seen one of those reflective jackets that reflect everything back. Loads of cyclists using feeble lights if at all.

I have one of those jackets, a Proviz 360 great for warmth and waterproofness. As well as the reflective qualities, obviously.
Don't wear one for training though, you will melt!

Mike

Re:

I have an Altura high viz but as you state, that type is suitable only for winter riding. Maybe theres an opportunity for some cool high viz cycling gear for summer.

I already pay a fortune in VED annually and dont think its fair paying more for very occasional bike use on a road. If they built a huge network of connected segregated cycle paths and allowed access to all footpaths in the country, then i would be happy to contribute annually towards that though.

This is what members of YouGov think. No surprise i chose not to be compulsory.
4144 UK adults were questioned on 29 Nov 2017.

Attachments

• By age.png
    By age.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 597
  • By Parties.png
    By Parties.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 597
  • By regon.png
    By regon.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 597
  • Poll.png
    Poll.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 597
Re:

I would like these legislators (and 'tick the box' survey commissioners) to state clearly, for idiots like me, the 'problem' that compulsory helmets/high viz is the 'solution' to? (I was going to say "clearly and honestly", but that is probably asking too much....)

Instead of making the 'target' harder and brighter, why not make the 'projectile' softer?

How about asking people if they think moving cars should be compulsorily encapsulated in bouncy castles?

How about asking people if they think the main function of the highway system should be as a racetrack for harrassed delivery drivers trapped in pointless ideologically driven economic competition?

Re: Re:

torqueless":2gozozw7 said:
Instead of making the 'target' harder and brighter, why not make the 'projectile' softer?

They are... why do you think that a) all cars now look more or less the same... b) All have big plastic headlights... c) All have large wraparound plastic bumpers?

Even 10years ago cars were coming out with pedestrian airbags and pop-up bonnets

How about asking people if they think moving cars should be compulsorily encapsulated in bouncy castles?

You cant bring stupidity into a serious conversation and not expect THM to not find a daft MEME about it

How about asking people if they think the main function of the highway system should be as a racetrack for harrassed delivery drivers trapped in pointless ideologically driven economic competition?

Thats a much deeper, philosophical conversation about society and global economics

G

Did somebody call

Attachments

• 16D415EE-B625-46B8-A732-EB53F7326426.jpeg
    16D415EE-B625-46B8-A732-EB53F7326426.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 539
Re:

You cant bring stupidity into a serious conversation and not expect THM to not find a daft MEME about it

17d1e0bd426c7a1ba33277fcb728b240--funny-harry-potter-memes-funny-memes.jpg

Thats a much deeper, philosophical conversation about society and global economics

Innit do, blud.

Back