Well, I've had enough of this member!

Alright, now that we've got that doubt out of the way - what happened is that I accidentally sent an M900 FD to a wrong person. The guy was OK with sending it on to the correct address (with postage cost on my behalf, of course) and the other buyer was OK with having to wait little bit in order to finally receive it. It's just that it has never happened!

The problem wasn't the value of the part but primarily that it's a frame-specific part and that it was holding up a bike build. Naturally, after some time, the buyer got pissed off, luckily not with me but with the guy. Months have passed with the guy apparently being out of the country every so often, numerous promises have been given, even one notification that the FD is finally on its way... but nothing. Back to promises and now he's even stopped replying to me.

The buyer has managed to source a replacement FD in the mean time, so I have refunded him, but I still have the outstanding deal with the guy. Do I name & shame or forget all about it?

And may I add that this happened 14 months ago now! :roll:

Re:

No excuse for not sending something on; I can understand taking some time to get around to it (due to life getting in the way), but not over a year!
Basic honesty and integrity innit?
At some point though I’d personally (psychologically) take the hit on the cost/loss, move on and wait for the good karma to come back around. Life’s too short to worry about money/front mechs, unless of course you’re desperate to make ends meet and it was paying for the next meal. Happily, given most of us on here are fiddling with bikes as a hobby, I’d guess that wasn’t the case.
Not sure I’d name and shame as such, perhaps leave some balanced feedback on their thread just to warn others to take care.
I’ve found everyone on here to be trustworthy!

I think at this point, that may be a little unfair Wadsy, The member in question was dragged into this and we only have one side of the story.

I don't know who all this relates to, but they never asked to be sent the mech, and may have more pressing concerns in life right now.

As MatBH5 said, It's a front mech, forget about it and move on.

My_Teenage_Self":3b25oh9p said:
I think at this point, that may be a little unfair Wadsy, The member in question was dragged into this and we only have one side of the story.

I don't know who all this relates to, but they never asked to be sent the mech, and may have more pressing concerns in life right now.

Yes, probably and I probably should have posted what I said on a separate thread rather than this specific one as my comment was really intended to be more general. :)

However, I did say: "not wanting to "rock the boat" and always giving the benefit of doubt, not being aware of their personal circumstances."
;)

Cheers

Sure, I appreciate the fact that it was my mistake to begin with, with a possibility of automatically losing the said part. However, considering it's not a random person but a forum member (that I've even dealt with previously) and that he said that it's not a problem - dragging it for so long and even confirming the FD had been sent that one time - and having the other buyer eagerly await it and search for it, whereas it hadn't - *that's* what I don't understand and why I'm not happy about it.

I posted this topic just to see what's the generally accepted viewpoint on this sort of situation, as well as to vent it out and put a closure on it but I'm not going to post any names or leave feedback because it's not a case of me being ripped off. Perhaps he will tag along to say his side of the story if he sees this topic ;).

Re:

No I wouldn't keep it.
14 months in my mind is to long to do something about it now.
Has the member in question be back on RetroBike during that 14 months?
If you want to pm me his name.

My_Teenage_Self":8k2llckt said:

As a Moderator I'll keep my thoughts to my self regarding the above post.

Wouldn't offend me if you did.

I've already said that it's essentially theft. I'd also agree that it's not right, obviously, but we don't know the exact reasons it hasn't been returned, so why jump to conclusions?

There are worse things in life.

Back