The Environmental and Social Cost of Carbon Bikes

Pretty scary stuff, but just another reason to add to the long list of why I won't buy a carbon bike.

Sad fact though is that while the bicycle itself may be a masterpiece of environmentally friendly and efficient transport, the bike industry is very far removed from that. It is about consumerism, just the same as any other sales and production based industry.

Buy second-hand, ride it forever!

legrandefromage":1dxlm12w said:
Better not mention e-bikes then?

Not looked into them. Please enlighten us.

I have to admit its deeply disturbing the Chinese ‘still’ dont care enough about the environment. The race to become the Worlds greatest economic superpower is nauseating when it comes at such a high price.Yes, I know the US, Russia etc are prolly just as bad. Im just focussing on the bike trade for now :facepalm: The thing is all this Fukushima radiation, plastic micro beads, BCBs dumped into tye Oceans ends up in our food, not to mention having devastating effects on natural wildlife beforehand.

I will never buy a carbon bike now. The bike trade needs to be much more ethical. Its no use stating their pollution metrics in comparison with the Wind Farm Indy. You can make such amazing and lightweight bikes from steel these days.

Iirc the American Beryllium bike was made using a highly toxic process.

But how does this end, spread by the marketing agents, sucked up by the punters who know no better, once the ball is rolling there is no emergency stop.

Re:

Education is the only way. I didnt realise the implications of carbon bike manufacture or the CF manufacturing industry as a whole, until i read this tbh. Its like the Carbon Footprint lies promulgated by pro Leccy Car/bike marketing lobby. Many of the premium cars produced are made from CF. The cost of leccy charging burning more fossil fuels is not honestly factored in. The extraction of Lithium and a whole host of other rare elements needed for batteries, destroying ecosystems etc is not factored in.

They have to assess the true cost of responsible manufacturing, recycling and material sourcing. Humans are smart, they have the ability to do this but the sheer greed of investors driving the marketing lies, seeking to fast track a return, will only create new problems down the line.

interesting reading. Good reason not to buy Chinese made items. And get carbon repaired. All those batteries from e bikes will fill the land fill well. How green. Stop being lazy and buy a bike to peddle.

Re:

^^ Exactly, a steel or Ti bike is nice enough. Support artisan frame builders. A big segregated bike lane building programme in cities, all joined by the same between towns ( maybe covered over for all weather riding ) etc will encourage people to ride in safety. It will tackle obesity, improve worker productivity, make people smarter, save the NHS a fortune etc.

Back