Dont fall for the 'scrappage' schemes bullsh*t

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Bit of a long read but confirms that many brand new cars emit a lot of shit that they are not supposed to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt ... ar_exhaust

Here are two examples:

~ The Renault Megane Experience (1461cc) produces 0.991g/km - 12 times the limit (made in 2016, tested in January 2017)

~ The Fiat 500X CityLook Popstar (1598cc) produces 1.153g/km - 14 times the limit (made in 2015, tested in December 2015)

But the worst is the Nissan Qashqai, which last month overtook the Ford Fiesta to become the UK's most registered car (counting diesel and petrol models together).

The Qashqai N-Connecta DCI CVT (1598cc) produces 1.46g of NOx per kilometre. That is more than 18 times Europe's 0.08g/km limit.

Re:

Not surprised really, particularly regarding VWs – always thought that the Transporter vans I often hired were fuming gas guzzlers, after the number of times I came close to running out of fuel miles from a filling station. Can't beat a Transit, especially the versions from a few years back before they changed the shape.

Re:

I find Sprinters to be excellent on fuel. Also, any large capacity petrol auto, driven sympathetically, tends to have fairly consistent consumption. Terrible, but consistent!

A few years back when I was driving my last Merc estate, some dickhead made a joke about scratching it with his keys if I hadn't been sitting in it. I explained that, not only was it cheap, it was fourteen years old, and many cars of the day were done by five years old.

Lots of the newer cars will be recycled by the time they are five years old. The environmental impact is enormous.

The emissions caused by actually driving them are only the tip of the iceberg.

One could argue that the manufacturers are wilfully and deliberately running headlong into the eco agenda to ensure that the consumer is obliged to change and change again... I think in Capitalist circles it's called 'growth'.

Back