Retrobike

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":gqxyfb7y said:
al-onestare":gqxyfb7y said:
Don't be fooled by the social media equivalents. Whilst the audience is wider, the connections more varied with ex pros and rarer items easier to see and purchase, the depth of content and readable history in one place is nothing compared to this.

You get out what you put in and if there's nothing coming from the top and a reduced interest from users here, then, well, we all know how it feels on here. And it's been like that for a good 3 years now.

I agree with this and everything else that's been said so far too. Retrobike is an amazing resource for everything related to what is a significant heritage. To lose all that's been built up since the start of RB to indifference would be tragic. It's amazing how much traffic has diverted to the 'Off-topic' section over the last year. With all significant archives, preserving continuity is vital and it can't be relied on the mis-informed and 'goldfish-like' of social media to do this. Maybe it is time for the reins of RB to passed on to preserve the continuity of our collective mountain biking heritage and for RB to evolve into a dynamic form that can do that. I'd like to help save it too, in someway...

I am a newbie here (just over a year) and even in that time have noticed a difference/change in the site and those partaking.

I'm not really in a position to comment given my short standing on the forum, however I do wish it to continue and grow, particularity as the great resource it is

I'm not so convinced with the "off topic" sections and think these some times distract form what we all have in common. The moment politics etc are bought into a public domain, the bonds individuals might have had can easily be strained because of some difference which is irrelevance to the common subject.

I find the social media side FB etc difficult, if not annoying: limited search facility, and difficult to find real info. It's not really designed for this purpose IMHO.
Needless to say I agree with comments and sentiments expressed by the RB fraternity as above but also in all the posts.

I like the G&OT section for advice mainly as I tend to trust the views expressed when I ask about something vehicle related etc as those expressing them are known entities rather than interested parties.

Bikes are the bond though. Otherwise there are plenty of other fringe/fetish outlets.

Re:

Agree. Discussion of Politics always has and always will polarise people. We all share a common love for these amazing classic bikes and long may that continue on whatever platform exists.

99% of the FB groups seem to contain far too many appendage wavers, here on RB we seem to only wave our spanners and chins.

I've noticed RB has dropped down google ranking

I'm a parent and dealing with the challenges that today's workplace are lobbing at us.
It will be interesting to see how this years Retro Revolution turns out like, I suspect we are all glad the commercial focus has sucked upon the Eroica road stuff leaving us alone to tinker with true Retro bikes.

Off topic has touched good, strong advice and support, is an insight into people's mind (especially the Word association) .

Forums are seeming to evolve.

My main issue is uploading images, I'm 100% mobile tech at the mo so I can't upload directly and THATS a pain in the bum.

Some outsourcing of work needs doing

Natural decay sets in on many sites. Given the 97 cut off point, there is no real way the site will refresh. There are only so many of us old enough to have been around in the heyday.

longun":11tvo6ga said:
Me for president haha ;)

Totally agree, needs must and we will lose retrobike if we're not careful, time to plan for the future or retro?

+1

I'm in 110%

Now Chris, let me tell you what the percentage sign actually means. :roll: ;)

Mike

M-Power":3hadpy6t said:
Agree. Discussion of Politics always has and always will polarise people. We all share a common love for these amazing classic bikes and long may that continue on whatever platform exists.

+1

Mike Muz 67":2k0ghfu0 said:
longun":2k0ghfu0 said:
Me for president haha ;)

Totally agree, needs must and we will lose retrobike if we're not careful, time to plan for the future or retro?

+1

I'm in 110%

Mike

Means I'm overly ambitious haha

The History Man":fet7mcs4 said:
I like the G&OT section for advice mainly as I tend to trust the views expressed when I ask about something vehicle related etc as those expressing them are known entities rather than interested parties.

Bikes are the bond though. Otherwise there are plenty of other fringe/fetish outlets.

For finding out facts about day to day things, I agree with you.

However, this section does sometimes attract totally meaningless threads, such as

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=2783090#p2783090

Anything that divides us, such as religion, sexuality or politics can't be a good thing, and can be the catalyst for some to chose other cycling outlets for pleasure.

If we want this site to thrive, I think we should, as already mentioned, concentrate our thoughts and energy towards the hobby we all have in common.

I would like to see what interest there would be in bringing back a National Series of retro rides. Apart from a few hardy characters, and thank you all for your efforts, I don't often see rides organized that don't mean travelling 200+ miles for.

Just my thoughts.

Mike

longun":18d99jd2 said:
Mike Muz 67":18d99jd2 said:
longun":18d99jd2 said:
Me for president haha ;)

+1

I'm in 110%

Mike

Means I'm overly ambitious haha

Don't lose your ambition mate! ;)

Mike

Back