TV: Fire, Now etc

Seems a lot of folks in the same place as us.
The kids watch kids things but old enough to find on demand stuff.
I never watch live TV, if ever it's recorded and viewed days or weeks (or months) later.
Life's too short, but we do watch the screen so we want something.

I'm liking the sound of some of these options, time for some research.
Leaning towards ditching the bundle and getting a cheap Bb service and a magic box for od services and that's about it

Re:

Just got back from six days of 'glamping it up' around the Cotswolds, Forest of Dean and Malverns – staying in various Travelodges/Premier Inns, basically. Crashing out in the rooms at night with only their TV provided to watch made me realise I haven't been missing anything normal telly offers at all and that I'm better off ditching the telly at home and just viewing the kind of programmes I want to watch as and when on my iMac. I've really moved on and I find most TV content is pretty dire and unnecessary.

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":1ixyzejp said:
Just got back from six days of 'glamping it up' around the Cotswolds, Forest of Dean and Malverns – staying in various Travelodges/Premier Inns, basically. Crashing out in the rooms at night with only their TV provided to watch made me realise I haven't been missing anything normal telly offers at all and that I'm better off ditching the telly at home and just viewing the kind of programmes I want to watch as and when on my iMac. I've really moved on and I find most TV content is pretty dire and unnecessary.
You should've popped in.

Re:

Thanks! Took my missus off for a hard-earned trip to see the RHS Malvern Autumn show in a Transit (luxury!). I was very tempted indeed to sling the Clockwork in the back for a cheeky romp over the top of Malvern). From London, we dropped the cat off with someone in Fowlmere, then dashed cross country to first stop in Buckinghamshire. Next day went via posh garden centre at Burford, then took A40 avoiding Cheltenham and skirting Ross up to Forest of Dean. She's been researching her ancestry with one branch (Meeks) starting mid-1500s in Much Marcle then they moved into the Forest of Dean around the time of the civil war. On the way back after the Malverns, we popped into Monmouth then headed back into the deep interior of the Dean. Saw loads of bikers in there on fancy new Oranges. Had an amazing view from the top of Cinderford looking out over the Severn to Gloucester and beyond. There will be other trips...

Whatever you buy, make sure it is supported as many Google TV boxes have been rendered useless by arguments between Google and manufacturers.

Re:

I've got a full package from Virgin but I'm seriously considering getting rid of it as I don't need the landline and only watch a handful of channels regularly and most are on Freeview/Freesat anyway. I could get a cheaper deal from Sky but that means being tied in to a new 18 month contract :roll:
I also have Amazon Prime and watch a fair few films and TV series on there and the on-demand nature of it suits me better TBH. I do enjoy a lot of the Discovery series and watching the spring classics on Eurosport so that would be the thing I'd miss. But Amazon provide a monthly subscription to both of these channels with no long term tie-in which would do me.

So thinking Freesat, Amazon Prime + either Amazons Pay channels occasionally or Now TV as an when I fancy it through the PS4. I need to look in to Broadband options but should save a fair chunk of change every year even if I have to pay slightly more for the Broadband.

Also near in mind Virgin have a history of some fairly hefty price rises recently. Just got a warning of another 10% (£4) hike.

Still haven't forgiven them for telling me about the 'free' speed upgrades that are flagged so far in advance that you get hit by a price rise before the new speed even arrives.

Re:

Bleedin' hippies – not really that benevolent as they like to make out. Deep deep down, they're empire-building control freaks who just see people as revenue streams to fund their non-dom off-shore wine cellars. Branson, Jobs, Gates, Vince and many more. Dale Vince (OBE, don't you know) gets a special mention tonight as he modelled himself on Branson and runs Ecotricity, who are incompetent and cannot get their billing correct. Their solution is to basically dream up some random and ever increasing amount to bill you with – C U Next Tuesdays.

Back