Retrobike

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Its been an important part of many lives for over ten years yet its being left to shrivel and die.

It is one of the top resources for cycling history with many members actual participants in cycle manufacture and sport but is rapidly being forgotten as the facebook generation inadvertently wipes out history with ephemeral goldfish like 'facts'

A great one brought to my attention was some facebook page where they were adamant that Jon Whyte 'invented' the first full suspension MTB. We know this to be absurd but some young facebook fellow-me-lad will start telling his mates and they'll tell their mates and it will end up as a fact.

The internet is re-writing history - Retrobike can keep a little part of it alive and kicking. Early participants are not getting any younger and we need to keep their contributions safe for the next generation of cyclist who will wonder where Granddad's 'is it a Zaskar' came from or mad Aunt Maud's hand built Roberts was built.

Just my thoughts.

Attachments

• charley kelly and friends.jpg
    charley kelly and friends.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,225
Re:

MBO ? and we inject some much needed ooomph back into the site and maybe some better commercial revenue steams to upgrade it and boost awareness and memberbase.

Re:

Agreed LGF. I am a member of a Orange fan page and some of the miss-information spouted as fact is staggering.

Don't know what can be done though as it's Johns baby and if he could make it work I'm sure he would. The fact he seems to have backed off speaks volumes. I'm sure someone said on another thread that the fb page has been quite also although I don't look at it myself.

What this site needs at all times is a group of people with real zest and enthusiasm for their rekindled loves. The likes of Sinnerman, Cheshire, boy"O"boy, and yourself spring to mind along with the US exotica tribe. Problem is each person burns bright but then completes what they wanted to so move on to other things. No worries if there's another bunch coming up behind but without them things go a bit flat.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":y98fkme7 said:
What this site needs at all times is a group of people with real zest and enthusiasm for their rekindled loves. The likes of Sinnerman, Cheshire, boy"O"boy, and yourself spring to mind along with the US exotica tribe. Problem is each person burns bright but then completes what they wanted to so move on to other things. No worries if there's another bunch coming up behind but without them things go a bit flat.

That's why the soaps often have a change of writers, or the editors of news papers are changed....
Man/women at the top may stay but the content is driven by others

Evolution not revolution

Re:

Me for president haha ;)

Totally agree, needs must and we will lose retrobike if we're not careful, time to plan for the future or retro?

I'm in 110%

Re:

Seems the interest and demand for retrobikes and parts is strong and growing on FB. Lots of new groups etc. In the last year or so on RB there has been no enthusiasm for anything except contentious issues. Hope somehow it avoids those and gets back on track.

I'm more than happy to contribute funding to position/set the site for the future. I'm much less 'active' since being a parent but that doesn't mean I am less of a 'believer'.

Re:

Don't be fooled by the social media equivalents. Whilst the audience is wider, the connections more varied with ex pros and rarer items easier to see and purchase, the depth of content and readable history in one place is nothing compared to this.

You get out what you put in and if there's nothing coming from the top and a reduced interest from users here, then, well, we all know how it feels on here. And it's been like that for a good 3 years now.

The nail in the coffin was when Charlies kickstarter campaign barely raised an eyebrow here. Even after his and Joe's UK tour.

As with others, I'm in.

As soon as the Peaks ride is in aftermath mode, I'll get the details up for the 2017 version of the Twizzler.

Re: Re:

al-onestare":2w6fyebs said:
Don't be fooled by the social media equivalents. Whilst the audience is wider, the connections more varied with ex pros and rarer items easier to see and purchase, the depth of content and readable history in one place is nothing compared to this.

You get out what you put in and if there's nothing coming from the top and a reduced interest from users here, then, well, we all know how it feels on here. And it's been like that for a good 3 years now.

I agree with this and everything else that's been said so far too. Retrobike is an amazing resource for everything related to what is a significant heritage. To lose all that's been built up since the start of RB to indifference would be tragic. It's amazing how much traffic has diverted to the 'Off-topic' section over the last year. With all significant archives, preserving continuity is vital and it can't be relied on the mis-informed and 'goldfish-like' of social media to do this. Maybe it is time for the reins of RB to passed on to preserve the continuity of our collective mountain biking heritage and for RB to evolve into a dynamic form that can do that. I'd like to help save it too, in someway...

Back