cyclist who knocked over and killed

Re: Re:

Raging_Bulls":25s6051f said:
groovyblueshed":25s6051f said:
irrespective of his bike
If the bike would have had brakes, he would have been able to stop or at least slow down enough to avoid serious injuries.

groovyblueshed":25s6051f said:
Already, the reporting of cyclists is increasingly negative and more letters being published in the press which use lazy sweeping generalisations that describe cyclists as a whole as lawless menaces that need to be legislated against.
Have you been in traffic lately? The majority of cyclists ARE lawless menaces. No wonder everyone hates us.

This lads bad attitude is a big part of why he received such a harsh (imo) sentence, compared to the plethora of people who drive with no license, mot, insurance, being banned, kill someone and quite often drive off. Even his mother seems to want him punishe harshly. His tatoo - wtf

Not got the details to hand atm but there is evidence that a front brake wouldnt have made significant or indeed any difference in his stopping distance, when reaction times etc are factored in. He still should have had one clearly to strengthen his case.

The solution is segregated cycleways ( with no pedestrians allowed to walk on them ) in inner cities and a campaign to make cyclists aware of the safety regulations, especially the yoof and tourists. Its gonna cost £Bs but there are no other options unless we go back to a pro car society.

Raging_Bulls":2ziv01nl said:
groovyblueshed":2ziv01nl said:
irrespective of his bike
Incorrect. If the bike would have had brakes, he would have been able to stop.

groovyblueshed":2ziv01nl said:
Already, the reporting of cyclists is increasingly negative and more letters being published in the press which use lazy sweeping generalisations that describe cyclists as a whole as lawless menaces that need to be legislated against.
Have you been in traffic lately? The majority of cyclists ARE lawless menaces. No wonder everyone hates us.

I'm on my well-maintained bike in traffic most days. Have powerful brakes but it has been more down to quick reactions and taking evasive manoeuvres to avoid a collision that's saved everyone.

Have to say sadly that I do agree with you regarding more cyclists being lawless menaces and can see why the rest hate cyclists. More people are getting on to bikes but they don't necessarily know how to behave or have any understanding of the Highway Code. As a cyclist, I've actually experienced more rage, aggression and trouble from other people cycling than any other road user (I've highlighted this before), particularly when I have either slowed or stopped to let someone on foot complete their crossing of the road, or to allow someone driving to finish making a manoeuvre. I've experienced some real abuse for riding safe and showing consideration to other road users. I don't know why people are so savagely impatient these days.

Re:

The solution is segregated cycleways ( with no pedestrians allowed to walk on them ) in inner cities and a campaign to make cyclists aware of the safety regulations, especially the yoof and tourists. Its gonna cost £Bs but there are no other options unless we go back to a pro car society.

I don't think the continental approach that makes this sort of thing work translates to Britain. The new segregated cycleways in central London are little slices of dysfunctional hell, with many cyclists riding like they're competing in the TdF.

groovyblueshed":336escd3 said:

I don't think the continental approach that makes this sort of thing work translates to Britain. The new segregated cycleways in central London are little slices of dysfunctional hell, with many cyclists riding like they're competing in the TdF.

Its a fair point....I just keep seeing videos of the NL and DK and it seems like cycling eutopia compared to the UK/London. Having been car doored thrice, run over once all by Jag drivers strangely and had a guy jump off a moving bus in TCR right in front of me....Il agree fast refexes are the best life saver.

Its just becoming a far more hostile world, we will just have to get used to it I guess.

Re:

Up to and around 2012, there was a genuinely good buzz and things seemed very promising for cycling. Things seem to have turned sour and cynical since those 'golden' times.

groovyblueshed":3jyigsvi said:
Up to and around 2012, there was a genuinely good buzz and things seemed very promising for cycling. Things seem to have turned sour and cynical since those 'golden' times.

The tabloid press in particular, except The Guardian to their credit, have run a campaign of hate against us. There are psycos on FB and Twatter promoting our death. We have become the new bete noir. Its prolly a displacement focus of frustration and anger towards growing terrorism and economic uncertainly in our lives. Far more easy to focus hatred on cyclists as they wont targer media HQs etc. I saw it only today during the afternoon school run, two mums in Chelsea tractors in close formation, dangerously cut up this young chap on his bike only 20yds before a left turn. He had to crawl almost to a halt and looked around nervously expecting me to do the same. :twisted:

Re:

I was rounded on on this site for suggesting more separation between cycleways and roads, a number of years back. I like the ways things are in Denmark, and my perspective was informed by my experiences there, as well as other places with more dedicated cycle paths.

I was up for the cut and thrust of London cycling way back in the day, but now prefer a 'bimble' along the canal, luckily a stone throw from the house. London has potential for extensive separation, there are enough lanes and roads to section off lots for cycle traffic.

There is a massive potential for rural cycleways in the UK. The more totally segregated routes available the better. They should also be for walkers though, and cyclists ought to respect walkers more than I see them doing.

There is ground adjacent to most railway lines that could host extensive cycleways. It should be possible to provide routes between many towns that would allow safe and enjoyable cycling.

It would be great if drivers changed their behaviour, but with double glazed cars with infotainment systems, and silent electric equivalents I fear things are going to get worse before they get better.

We shall likely get to the point that we will carry locating devices that prevent collisions, or such, but until then I just want to cycle in a completely separate environment to anything bigger.

As far as this cyclist being sentenced 'harshly', if I pushed someone over and the same end result occurred, I would likely go down for longer.

Re:

Pretty much agree with your points above.

Think smarter and creative reuse of land and environments for dedicated/segregated cycling routes/infrastructure would be beneficial for everyone. If only we had the Holland model and attitudes. You'd think keeping cyclists out of the way of motorists would make motorists very happy but unfortunately, Britain is so dysfunctional that motorists get irate about cyclists having dedicated spaces because it gets in their way by reducing their road space and prevents them from parking where they like.

In my local Enfield, dedicated separated cycle lanes have been planned and built in the face of much local and vociferous opposition from motorists and owners of small local shops/businesses. They claimed cyclists would prevent people travelling from far and wide from parking outside local shops, which would then kill local trade and businesses. What's killing local traders is the ever increasing rent and business rates and or even the possibility that they don't really cater for a market. The other argument was that OAPs would be killed by cyclists when trying to get to and from buses across the cycle lanes.

Re:

The intensifying hatred of cyclists in the UK really bugs me. I also very rarely venture onto the road these days. As for electric cars, I nearly got run down last week in a Waitrose car park, their drivers assume you can hear them at ~ 15mph behind but you cant.

New laws coming, 14 yrs imprisonment for cyclists convicted of culpable homicide. Anybody who watches scrotes on Police Camera Action etc driving through city centres at 90mph high on smack, risking the lives of all concerned, only to get some joke sentence by the CJS, will feel a sense of impending injustice. The huge increase in people riding scooters helmetless, to avoid Police pursuit and throwing acid at victims, destroying their quality of life for good, should be the real focus of rapid changes in legislation. Death due to a reckless cyclist accident is very very rare.

M-Power":3shvgq7n said:
groovyblueshed":3shvgq7n said:

The tabloid press in particular, except The Guardian to their credit, have run a campaign of hate against us. There are psycos on FB and Twatter promoting our death. We have become the new bete noir. Its prolly a displacement focus of frustration and anger towards growing terrorism and economic uncertainly in our lives. Far more easy to focus hatred on cyclists as they wont targer media HQs etc. I saw it only today during the afternoon school run, two mums in Chelsea tractors in close formation, dangerously cut up this young chap on his bike only 20yds before a left turn. He had to crawl almost to a halt and looked around nervously expecting me to do the same. :twisted:

That's not new though, that's always happened. You just happened to think its a new thing.

Back