Pet inurance for a dog - any recommendations?

Tad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello,

We're about to acquire a dog. It's a real bitsa, she's a 2 year old whippet lurcher, collie, spaniel cross.

Any recommendations for which pet insurance firms to go for?

Cheers

TBH I have never bothered. The premiums go up so much each year, you are in effect self insuring. I appreciate there is a risk, but to a degree it is a matter of being careful/responsible.
It always amuses me when I go to the vets, the first question the ask people is "is the pet insured"....is there is a different pricing.
I'm sure some have very positive stories re insurance.

Re:

Just make sure it's unlimited cover for each illness, not just for that treatment.
If the dog has a relapse within 12months for example, many policies don't pay out for the second treatment, and if it involves surgery or being kept in, the costs can be astronomical

Petplan. Make sure your vet takes direct payment from them too, or leave 5k sitting in an account or cc in case your new dog needs it.

We have a working cocker. He has insurance. He sees using it as a sport.

Can't recommend NFU insurance enough, we've never had a problem claiming.

Re: Re:

unkleGsif":2ry1bgkl said:
Just make sure it's unlimited cover for each illness, not just for that treatment.
If the dog has a relapse within 12months for example, many policies don't pay out for the second treatment, and if it involves surgery or being kept in, the costs can be astronomical

agreed,make sure its a 'for life' policy or as said you wont be covered for the same thing if it happens 12 months later....

highlandsflyer":2efgoyss said:
Petplan. Make sure your vet takes direct payment from them too, or leave 5k sitting in an account or cc in case your new dog needs it.

Petplan were good to me. It is worth having insurance. We found out when we needed to pay £980.00 for a CT scan to deal with a cancer.

Ate a deer bone; couldn't shite the giant re-formed bone nugget out.

Got bitten by an Adder.

Busted his shoulder digging out a rabbit hole.

Ate a Plastic bag (that contained a sausage roll).

Ran through a bush and poked a hole in his eye.

Broke his tail while playing with a puppy.

Ate a mars bar that he found in a hedge.

There's more, but you get the idea.

He's 9 now, and not any wiser. While it IS expensive, it's 100% necessary for an active dog. NFU have been good as gold for all of the above.

Back